Its possible, but how?

I'm going to start looking for work after my baby is born, I plan on nursing...but how can i do that when I'll be at a job for 5 hours a day without loosing my milk supply? Anyone with experience please share what you did.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You will have to pump at least once during that five hour period. Maybe even twice depending on the commute time. get a reliable pump, something from medela will be good. A double electric works great, cuts down time, etc. Pump milk and leave for the baby to drink from a bottle. Introduce a bottle at around 4 weeks so that the baby will take it when you go to work. Before yo leave baby and soon as you get home, nurse, nurse, and nurse....then pump when you are away from him
    blackwellqk

Answer by blackwellqk at 4:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• pump your milk...employers make exceptions for nursing moms to get a way to a restroom or office thats private to pump milk..i belive its a law...anyways thats how you do it
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 4:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• There should be a private room/office..something like that where you can go to pump milk. On your lunch break you can find the time to do that...put it in the freezer or fridge, if not comfortable with doing so at work, then you could go home on your lunch break. By law your boss can not object to you needing the time and privacy to do so! Well that's in Canada..not sure about America.
    Anonymous

• get a good electric double breast pump. And then don't just pump at work, but pump between feedings at home as well. I suggest the medela pump. With my first I lost my milk at 6 months and I was using a hand pump. With my baby now I've been using the medela electric double, and now at 11 months I still have a ton of milk. 5 hours would be around 2 missed feedings.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 4:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Take a break and pump in the bathroom. My sister had to do that and she worked 12 hour days.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I pump at work during my lunch break. You can either eat fast and then pump... or get a bra that you can use hands free and pump at the same time. I have done both. I also pump right before work even if he just ate... and then I either feed him first thing when I get home or pump.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I wait tables doing 5 and 6 hour shifts- and I'm the only waitress in the place which gets crazy when I have to have people cover for me so I can go pump- but I have an electric double pump and an A/C adapter for my car that I plug into my car lighter.. I start my car 10 minutes before I go out and then I'm out for maybe 15-20 minutes in my car.. I use a nursing cover so people can't peek.. it's not perfect, but my boss isn't helpful about a place to pump or even getting me coverage.. trust me- any situation you can work it out- just stick to your decision and don't back down :) good luck!
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 4:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Just take a pump....Pump every couple hours if your job lets you...Im in the same situation. I have a Lansinoh pump which is much cheaper than Madela. and it's fabulous And take empty bottles to store milk in and an extension cord if you need to. Good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2009