Anyone serve in the National Guard?

Do they have boot camp? Is it just like the army?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2011 in Military

• yes, and then two weeks every summer for training.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2011

• Yes, you have to go to boot camp just like everyone else and go to school just like everyone else. Then you work one weekend a month and 2 weeks every summer.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2011

• Can I have a normal job and go to school around it?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2011

• No, I believe army boot camp is what 8 weeks? Then depending on what AIT you do, it could be up 3 or 4 months, and you are an active military orders until you are done with your initial AIT, and you cannot have a job because you don't even know what base you will be sent to. I am in the air national guard and I left for basic in August and did not get done with all of my AIT and initial training until May, some jobs have less time for AIT, but you can expect to be only military for about that long.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2011

• Oh. Not an option for me then. :( Thx for your help!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2011

• Before dismissing it completely, I would consider asking your workplace if you could take a leave of absence to complete your training. If this is something you want to do, it's worth looking at all of your options.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2011

• ANG has protections where the workplace is concerned. Check with your recruiter.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 2:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2011

• My DH is in the Army National Guard. He didn't go to their boot camp as he was an active duty Marine for five years previously, so he went to Parris Island. But the Guard soldiers do go to boot camp and AIT just like active duty soldiers. If you really want to enlist you should check with your workplace before you decide it's not an option, they should be able to work with you.
    LillyJDv3.0

Answer by LillyJDv3.0 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2011