How do I get my kid to poop on the potty?

My son 30 months old, has been successfully using the potty every day for three weeks with very few accidents. He wears an overnight diaper only. but he still won't poop and I know he is holding it in. Some nights he will go in the night diaper but I can't get him to try the potty. He asks to put a diaper on. Should I let him coninue to hold it untill he gets over his fear or will the constipation end up hurting him in the long run? It is healthier to give in to him at this stage? Any suggestions.

missv66

Asked by missv66 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The constipation will cause problems. Each time it hurts to poop, he will become more afraid to poop.. and will hold it longer... which will cause more pain... you can see the cycle. My daughter got caught in this cycle at 20 months and has been on miralax since then (she's 29 months now).

If your son will ask for a diaper and go in it, then let him. Start by trying to get him to sit on the potty while wearing the diaper to poop. Then you can try putting the diaper in the potty instead of on him.

Another thing to try is to make playdoh poop and have silly "where does the poop belong" play. I'd also strongly suggest the book "Everyone Poops" as daily reading for a while.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I wonder if you might give him some mineral oil to help him dodo we used to call it doodoo medicine. my son would holler from toliet when he strained from constipation. I NEED DOO DOO MEDICINE! also maybe add alittle more fruit in his diet. If you're afraid to give him medicine you can fake it. It may be some in his mind the fear of hurting dodo.You could put three drops lemon juice in a teaspoon of water and say this is magic poopoo medicine.It will help you and you won't need a diaper at night because this is good medicine.Maybe that will give him faith to face his fear of doo dooing
    summerray5

Answer by summerray5 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2009