Frustrated.

Today is my daughter Ellee's 2nd birthday.
I told my M-I-L on Sunday That I wanted her and her daughter to come down today for Cake for Ellees Birthday.
Today she texts my husband saying that she cant come down because her sister is coming over, After she spent all day yesterday with her sister. ITs almost like her granddaughter doesn't mean anything to her.

I am not sure If I want to write her and say something, OR--- If I should just leave it alone!
I dont know. I'm at a loss.

Would you be mad? Or am I being sensitive?

TheTara

Asked by TheTara at 4:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would be upset and I would tell her that her role as a grandparent is important. Let her know you are disappointed and hope she will take more time to bond with child. If not fill child's life as full as you can with loving family members surrounding you so she won't feel lacking of special relationship from a g ma that tends to let her down.
    summerray5

Answer by summerray5 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I'd let her know that her sister is welcome to come to (she is a great-aunt afterall) and that your daughter would really like to see her grandma on her special day.

If she still doesn't come, do your best to shrug your shoulders and write it off. Yes, it's rude and selfish of her but you can be bigger than that and teach your daughter how to handle rude people.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Call her and tell her her sister is welcome to come with her.
    Anonymous

• girl i gave up on family.
    no one is going to dissapoint my lil ones so i don't give them chances to break there heart.
    my mom told my kid once she was taking him to chucky cheese... called at the last minute and said she' didn't feel good. also to see fireworks.. cancelled last minute.... to see christmas lights... cancelled at the last minute. i don't give anymore chances.
    Kristina.C

Answer by Kristina.C at 4:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I would only be upset if it upset your baby, but I think she's too young to care. She was probably happy to have cake with you. However, if your M-I-L told you she was coming and stood you up, that's another issue. I would only bring that to her attention because you may invite her to something else important to you and you don't want to be left wondering if she'll show up. But the positive side of that is that she did text and say she wasn't gonna make it. Right? So that was a good thing. If you're going to get upset with the in-laws, make sure its something that could really make or break your relationship. And make sure you're not going to be in the wrong. Let the little things just blow over. It's not worth ruining your relationship. This is my opinion... GOOD LUCK! ;o)
    verniemama

Answer by verniemama at 5:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It's usually a good idea to wait until you respond to something like this, because you could potentially say things in a harsher manner than would be good for your future relationship. I agree that you should tell her that her sister (the baby's Great-Aunt, after all) is most welcome to come.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2009