Switching from crib to toddler bed

So for the past 2 mornings my son has been climbing out of his crib and coming to wake me up by jumping on my bed. This afternoon he climbed out of his crib during his nap and came down stairs. I know its time to get him into his toddler bed I was wondering how you ladies made the switch? How did your toddlers take it?

jaysonsmommy15

Asked by jaysonsmommy15 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I changed my son's crib before he started climbing out & he did great w/ it. However it's only been a couple weeks, lol, so we shall see how much longer this greatness holds on. Good luck!
    momma_of_kyky

Answer by momma_of_kyky at 4:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My dd took to it very well, as I made a big huge deal out of her "big girl bed"
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• i just took the side off her crib and let her sleep in that for a while. then i got a big girl bed, a twin sized day bed that was close to the floor and made a huge deal out of it. let her get her own sheets and all that.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 8:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• we put the toddler bed in his room for about a week and had reading time there before sleeptime. We read the book "my big boy bed" from the library before naptime too. After a week, we broke down the crib and pushed the bed into the same place the crib was and just went for it..(cont.)
    aschwer

Answer by aschwer at 5:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• (cont.) He cried, but I sat a chair outside his door and sat there. Every time he got up, I walked him back to his bed. The first time he got up (which happened immediately after putting him in bed) I said "No, it's naptime, you need to stay in bed and go to sleep." The second time I said "night night love you" and walked him back to bed. The third, fourth and fifth times I didn't say anything and just walked him back to bed. About the 5th time or so he no longer got out of bed, he just stayed there and cried (this whole process took literally 10 minutes from start to finish)..(cont.)
    aschwer

Answer by aschwer at 5:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• (cont.)....and I admit, I sat outside his door and cried too! I hate to hear him so upset, but after 5 minutes of me leaving the room, he was out! :) It's been about a week and a half now since he's been in his big boy bed and he's doing great. Each day/night we did the same walking-back-to-bed process until by day 3, he didn't even cry, and just went right to sleep. The first week, he only took 45 min. naps before waking, but now he's back to his normal schedule! :)
    aschwer