What can cause pain behind the knees?

My 12 year old daughter is complaining with pain on the back of her legs behind her knees. She said the pain is worse if she sits for awhile and then gets back up. She is active with sports. Right now, basketball and cheerleading. She does both once a week. So what might this be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My daughter had knee pain - I thought it was osgood schlotters because my other daughter had that - but that is an irritation in the growth plate in the front of the knee. Her pain iwas caused by 'loose kneecaps'. She went to therapy a few times to learn exercises to strengthen her muscles. It could be that your daughters tendons are too tight in the back and stretching might help. Check with the team/school trainer, or your pediatrician in case treatment or therapy would be helpful
    mnrock

Answer by mnrock at 7:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I had that for years (back in the early 70's) when I was that age. I did not do sports except swimming swimming and skiing in the summer. Dr said it was growing pains. 4 years later I was large-boned 5'10" lanky kid.
    LauraPPL

Answer by LauraPPL at 7:00 AM on Jan. 8, 2009