Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you/have you owed money to the IRS?

How much did/do you owe and what happened?

My SO owes them at least $3000 and there is no way we can pay that by the time they listed on their what do they do?

What should WE do?

[Yes, I know he should have paid when he owed, but he was young and didn't understand the whole tax thing...the past is in the past, so if you can't be helpful, please move on.]

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • yep

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • You need to contact them and see if you can get a payment plan. They will probably put a lien on your property if you own a house if you can't pay, and they can garnish wages too I believe.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • I paid over $5,000 on an installment agreement one year. Call and speak to a customer service person, or if you have a local office go there in person. Explain the situation and ask if there is a way you can get an installment agreement. Let them know you want to pay and make good on the debt, but that you can't really swing it all at once. They are more likely to deal with you if you go to them BEFORE the deadline on the letter. If you do get an installment agreement, then you need to make sure it is paid on time and you don't get behind on future year's taxes. Good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • My DH got behind when he first became self employed and it was a mess, I once made one of the agents hang up on me! Call them and when you do make sure to write down the name and ID number the person gives you. Anyway even if you go to the local office get everything in writing do NOT just let them tell you it's in the system, leave there with a hard copy of any agreement,

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • I owed a small about - something like $250 or $300 dollars - because my stupid ex-husband didn't file taxes for the year we split up.  The IRS took it out of the following years refund because it was such a small amount.

    If you call them and explain your financial situation they will work with you to establish a payment plan. Don't go to one of those private agencies that say they can "eliminate your tax debt". That's a bunch of crap. They are scamming you. Call the IRS directly and be honest. If you don't contact them you'll have bigger problems in the future.


    Answer by Madge1428 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • They will work out a plan but do it before the date on the letter

    Answer by customcat2000 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • per IRS: How to Set Up an Installment Agreement
    Taxpayers wishing to pay off a tax debt through an installment agreement, and owe:

    $25,000 or less in combined tax, penalties, and interest can use the Online Payment Agreement (OPA) or call the number on the bill or notice (have the bill or notice available, along with the social security number). A fill-in Request for Installment Agreement, Form 9465 (PDF), is available online that can be mailed to the address on the bill.

    Note: If you recently filed your income tax return and owe but have NOT yet received a bill from the IRS, you can use the Online Payment Agreement to establish an installment agreement on current year returns. To determine the information needed to establish a pre-assessed installment agreement, refer to What Information Do I Need to Use OPA?

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • cont.
    More than $25,000 in combined tax, penalties, and interest may still qualify for an installment agreement, but a Collection Information Statement, Form 433F (PDF) may need to be completed. Call the number on the bill or mail the Request for Installment Agreement, Form 9465 (PDF) and Form 433F (PDF) to the address on the bill.
    You will receive a written notification telling you whether your terms for an installment agreement have been accepted or if they need to be modified.


    Answer by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • Oh yes, LOL it was years ago and I honestly forget to pay the second half. I think I was 23 - scared the hell out of me when I got the letter, I thought I was going to jail for sure. I called in tears and the nicest lady told me she could set up payments for me and everything was going to be alright. No one was going to come after me for under $5000.00. as long as I was trying to make good on it. It wasn't even my fault, the stupid company I worked put the wrong numbers into the PC so almost nothing was taken out of my pay check. I had no idea what I should have been looking for. Now when ever I have a job, I put all 0's on my W-4 and have them take out an extra $20.00 a week. It makes tax time the best time. I have my husband do the same thing, we get crazy money back at the end of each year, more then anyone I've ever known.

    Answer by at 7:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN