Do you believe all prisoners that have been convicted are guilty?

Or is a juror of peers impossible for the average low income defendant without a high priced lawyer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I KNOW they are not. My DH had his wallet stolen years before we met. After we were married we found out someone had opened an acct in his name and bounced LOTS of checks in 2 counties over one weekend! One county compared signatures and immediately saw it wasn't him and cleared him. The other county arrested him when he went to get his license renewed. He was extradited, spent a night in jail. $200 to bail him out. $1000 for a lawyer. Autozone was one of the places, and they sent an employee who had worked that day TEN YEARS BEFORE and she said she remembered him. Are you kidding me!  I worked retail...ther is NO WAY. The judge convicted him. Even tho we could prove he lived hours away from there then and that the signature wasn't even close! He now has a conviction for something he never did.

By the way, the judge found every single person in his court guilty that day! That's nuts!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I am sorry for your experience. Did you husband have to serve time?
    Anonymous

• Just the night. He said it was GOD AWFUL! I was just soooo pissed and felt so helpless. And everyone had this smirk on their faces when I would try and tell them he was innocent. It was very frustrating. And even more so after the guilty. The lawyer said we could take it to trial, and he would probably be found innocent,  but it would have cost us thousands more and we didn't have it.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Oh, and the bank wher the guy opened the acct. was NO help. They toss out records after 3 years so there wasn't even a record of the acct for us to use. We didn't even find out about it till about 5 years after it happened. They had the wrong address! So be ware ladies!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• No, nor do I think that everyone walking the streets right now are innocent. I believe a great deal of them are guilty though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Sorry, I believe that a great deal of prisoners are guilty.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• no, b/c nothing is ever 100%. i think innocent ppl are convicted & guilty ppl are set free. but i do believe the majority of prisoners are guilty. the system may not be perfect, but it gets it right most of the time.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I believe most are but many are not. That is why I am opposed to the death penalty not worth it to potentially put one innocent man or woman to death. I am also for legalizing some drugs. We need to get the guys who are caught selling weed out of jail so we can lock up child molesters for life. We need to have that money all these drug cases cost so we can pay public defenders more so we have qualified and better counsel for the poor. They may still be guilty but everyone deserves a good defense.

Anonymous

• not everyone is guilty, but when you can not afford a good lawyer then i guess you are screwed.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 6:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Jurors are people who hear the evidence provided and people are not perfect. Not the jurors, the lawyers, or the judge. The whole system stinks. But, the hard core criminals should be gathered up and flown to a desserted island owned by the USA, dropped off, build there own housing and grow their own food. No bailout for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous