Church of latter day saints/jehovah's witnesses v. mormons.

Sorry if anything in the title is spelled incorrectly. I just have a few questions. Are the church of latter day saints and a jehovah's witness the same thing? AND how are they in relation to the mormon religion? I'm sorry, I grew up Presbyterian and at this time, dh and I have not found a church where we currently live that we like. I'm sorry to say that I'm not interested in either religion but my question is about some men that came to my door.

I took a bag of trash out to our garage and I saw through the windows two dark figures walking up our driveway. I turned on the porch light and waited to see if they were coming up the front stairs or if they had just walked on our driveway by mistake thinking it was the road. They came to the door, and wanted "to spread the word of the Lord since he had blessed them in so many ways.". They looked to be in their older teens. They sounded pretty legit until they asked me if I had seen the mormon commercials that have been airing on tv lately. I told them no, since I have a 5 month old and a 3 year old to look after. They then proceeded to ask if they could have my phone number, to which I responded with "no, it's personal, and I do not give my number out.". Then, they asked for my address and I told them no. I thought that it was really wierd that they were asking for this stuff.

Now, the entire reason I'm even asking this question is because we've had a series of break ins in our area. Last week, our neighbor came over and told me their house had been broken in to. Within in 5 hours, that same day, I saw a guy in a black mask standing in the neighbors backyard trying to break back in...the guy stopped and stared at me when he saw me in my kitchen window..by the time the cops got there, he was gone. They seem to think that they person/people doing the break ins are going around and "soliciting" to see who is home during the day since the robberies are happening during the day time. This was the first time in almost 8 months that I've had anyone at my door (actually I had someone the other night, but the guy wanted to drop off a flyer for roof cleaning (it's a company that we get a monthly flyer/coupon in the paper). I don't know, maybe I'm stressing over the littlest things..but any input would be nice!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think you're confused. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints IS the Mormons...and JW's are a different denomination of Christianity.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:45 AM on Nov. 12, 2011

• Now if it is teh Mormons coming around they will have Name tags with something like "Elder Matthew" or whatever their name is as well as the church branch they are affiliated with.....they always go out in pairs.....usually have pamphlets for their church with them.....and are typically dressed in a simple black suit.....(Black slacks, white button down shirt, sometimes a jacket.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2011

• kristi, thank you...yes, i was very confused by it...but they said something about JW's in there too. I know I'm on edge so I'm probably just making a mountain out of a mole hill. thank you for clearing it up for me!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2011

• Honestly, if you're concerned you SHOULD contact the police. Better safe than sorry considering the break-ins...

Guaranteed that LDS missionaries can account for where they were on any given night, and the church does keep good tabs of its missionaries if the cops need to verify if it was or was not them... (Not sure of any other religion, though!)
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 3:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2011

• LDS and Mormon are nicknames for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Male missionaries do wear suits (but they don't have to be black, but are usually dark) and in warmer climates can go without the jacket. They always wear a tie, a white dress shirt, and a name tag. They always go in pairs, never one missionary by himself. Our church is running a lot of ads on tv in some areas right now. I can see a missionary asking for a phone number if you had agreed to meet with them later. But to ask for no reason does seem odd and if a person standing at your door wanted your address they wouldn't need to ask, they could just look at your house number and the street name to get the address. I know that some LDS missionaries like to try to keep track of which houses they have visited so they don't end up coming back again too soon so maybe they were just trying to be very thorough and sure of your house number or something.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 4:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2011

• (cont.) Goody is correct that the church does keep tabs on the missionaries. Missionaries have to account for pretty much every minute of their day and usually have to report exactly how they spent their day to their missionary leaders nightly, some report every other night, and some once a week.

I think that if it was LDS missionaries who came to your door or even Jehovah's Witnesses, that that's all they were really there for was to tell people about their religion. But it could also be possible that someone is posing as either LDS missionaries or Jehovah's Witnesses in order to see who is home when.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 4:50 AM on Nov. 12, 2011

• Mormons will be wearing black pants and white shirts with Gold name tags. The jehovahs witnesses would come in a huge group there would either be women or men but there would be three or four and the mormons would be in two. they are not the same religion at all and no they are not robbing your neighborhood.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:27 AM on Nov. 12, 2011

• Seems very odd that they would ask for a phone number and address
    I've never had them ask something like that-usually if anything they just ask if they can come back again

I think DigiScrapperMom is right- it *could* be people posing as religious and trying to see who is home
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2011

• Pinkdragon, I never said they were..I was just asking bc it seemed odd that they asked for my phone number and address.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:08 AM on Nov. 12, 2011

• DigiScrapperMom was correct in all she said.

When I was on my mission we had to call in nightly to say how our day went and we always kept track of the streets we visited and such. We didnt always right down home numbers nor phone numbers unless asked to come back at a different time,etc.

The tags are black with white lettering(unless they've changed that recently but doubtful). LDS missionaries go in pairs and occasionally have a third with them if a member of their ward is coming along with them or if another missionary pair is split for some reason.

If they are coming alone but dressed up like LDS missionaries then Id definately remember as many details as possible and call the police cuz they never ever are allowed to go alone.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 12, 2011