Is rusty bath water a health risk?

Sme time ago they demolished some housing near our row (we live on base) and since then our bathroom water (sink and tub) comes out rusty. Getting anything fixed in housing here is nearly impossible, so we haven't requested anything to fix it yet, and we were hoping it was just because the the recently demolished houses. and would fix itself once things settled. It' been a bit though, and I'd think if it was going to clear it would have by now. I'm curious though, is the rusty water coming out of our pipes a health risk? Should I really get on themabout getting it fixed? Or am I over-reacting?

Jinxiewolf

Asked by Jinxiewolf at 5:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Health

• I am thinking that yes... Rusty bath water is pretty bad... Especially because you have and are having another baby. I would say something... You know how babies and toddlers put water in their mouths when they take tubbies. I would feel horrible letting my daughters bathe in rusty water, but then to take a shower in that myself, thats too much!! Do you guys brush your teeth with the water?? Rust is bad.... You could probably sue for that!!! I would!! I don't know how things in Canada work, but here in the U.S, that is a lawsuit WAITING to happen! Good luck Jinxie!
    MaddieJade

Answer by MaddieJade at 11:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I'd think that you shouldn't drink it or use it in cooking. And since it is contaminated with at least rust or dirt of some kind, I'd be uncomfortable about using it for bathing. There must be a department that deals with water, public works or something like that?

Answer by Bmat at 5:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• You need to contact them and let them know the problem, as it can cause problems for you for the same reason stepping on a rusty nail would.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 6:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I hope your family has its tetanus shots...
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 6:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• People pay money at spas for mineral baths.....
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2009