Okay I took a home pregnancy test the other day and it came out positive.... well I went to the doctor and had a blood test done and it came out negative whats going on?

Not only did I take one HPT I took 8 and all are coming out positive. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what could be wrong. I am also 13 days late for my period.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• From my understanding, the blood tests are never wrong. Check the HPTs, are they expired, anything like that. You may also wanna contact the manufacturer.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Blood tests CAN be wrong, it depends on which kind you had.

There is the HCG Qualitative test, in which they use the same type of test you use for urine, only they use serum (a blood component) for the test, and these can come out with a false negative, just like a urine test. These tests are relatively cheap, and yes you could still be pregnant.

There is the HCG Quantitative test, which actually runs through a machine and measures the amount of hormones. This is the test that I recommend you ask your doctor for, and go have your blood work done again.

(Source - myself. I work in a lab)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I just bought them and I used 3 different brands
    Anonymous

• Chemical pregnancy
    Anonymous

• Didn't you talk to your doctor about it? I would say if the blood test says no then you are not pregnant but you really should talk with your doctor about it. he/she can tell you better than we can
    the1youluv2hate

Answer by the1youluv2hate at 5:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Well, I had something just like this happen to me. What I was told by my OB is that some "batches" of pregnancy tests can be more sensitive than others-they are not all the same. When a mother gets a positive on a pregnancy test, but not on a blood test, chances are that there was a bit of lingering hormone in their urine that was picked up on by the POAS test, but that in the blood there was no enough hormone to count as a "positive".
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 5:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• There has to be a certain amount to mean you are pregnant, when doing a blood test. The urine tests just test to see if the HcG is present. What I'm trying to get at is that you were in fact pregnant-but lost the baby very early on. This is extremely common....more than anyone ever realizes. The above information only applies if the urine tests were not expired, you looked at them within 10 minutes (many test turn positive after they are sitting...but it's not a true positive) and the "positive" line is the same color as the control line-not gray in color.
    madelyns_momma

• Make another appointment with the dr. I don't understand how these drs can just give results without explanations. My doctor explains things to death! They will probably do another pee test, and perhaps another blood test. They should do an ultrasound with these conflicting results because there could be a miscarriage that has happened, or about to happen.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 6:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Sorry sounds like a Chemical Pregnancy.
    BigSurprise2

Answer by BigSurprise2 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2009