Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Army wives, help!

I am only 16. My boyfriend is considering joining the army and Im not against it, I'm excited he wants to do something to get us on our feet, we just had a little girl and Im so tired of living with his mom. But I am worried about the rules. If he does this i would like to live on base for one, I dont want to live in Maryland if he's going to be stationed else where, but with us not married and me being so young, I'm not sure if thats possible. I would also like to know how long will he be gone the first time he leaves. I know this depends on what he signs up for and the job he chosses but I'm just looking for a range. I would also like to know will we have to get married to be considered an "army family" and if were not will I still get his money to suppot our family when he's gone??

Answer Question

Asked by lovencasper5307 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • You have to be married to be on his paperwork, if your not on his paperwork you do not count. He will get very little money being single. Are you willing to get married? That is the only way he can take you along with him. The only places you can't go are Afghanistan, Kuwait and Iraq. You can go to Korea, which will most likely be the first duty station if he is ordered there for three years. You can't go to other places that he won't be for long either, there is no point. Also, I may be wrong but, they will not even count the baby as his child unless you are married or unless he has court appointed custody. Hubby had to have the court papers to put his son from his ex wife on insurance. Good luck!!

    Answer by matthewscandi at 5:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • you have to be married to live with him on base

    Answer by hautemama83 at 5:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • You have to be married to get any benefits at all. If he is deployed, he will have to choose a power of attorney to handle his money (if he is not married) but I believe they have to be 18. (Could be wrong on that)

    Answer by mom2XandZ at 5:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • Would your family sign for you to get married before he leaves.?I also know some states will do that with a parent /gaurdian approval. Just to let you know a lower enlistend does not make a lot of money, ok, and you have to know how to spend it. You also do not automatically get on post housing.Most of the time there is a waiting list.If you are married, all of your medical needs will be met, but, if you live off post, you will get housing allowance, but, you still have to be careful. so, I wanted to let you know that up front.

    Answer by Kat122 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.