Is ADD/ADHD hereditary?

The reason why I am asking is because my husband's brother has ADHD or ADD and I was wondering can it be pass down. My 3 yo. is so active I don't know if she is just an active girl or I am so afraid of using that word but I will say it ADD or ADHD. I just need to know. It could be the foods she is eating which I do believe. I need some help here.

kaynadjaysmom28

Asked by kaynadjaysmom28 at 5:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• it is hereditary, it is not caused by vaccines, and while girls usually dont get the hyperactivity, is is a possibility
    the possibility goes up with each family member that has it and how close they are related to her (cousin vs. parent kind of thing)
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 8:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Yeah they say it is however girls normally dont get the hyperactivity that boys do. They tend to be more spacey and not pay attention. Sounds like your dd is just active.

Answer by gemgem at 5:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It can be hereditary, but at 3, I wouldn't rush to think that she has it. Wait until she's in school. See how she does in school, how her grades are, does she behave, etc. At 3, she's too young to really diagnose, plus most 3 yr olds are just naturally very active.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think it can be caused by vaccines.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It is thought there is a genetic link, however, it's usually thought to be a direct link (your husband would have it and pass it to her kind of thing)

There is no proof, but more correlation for a genetic link than anything else....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• A 3 year old will show almost all the symptoms of ADHD. Additionally, many ADHD symptoms are also caused by environment and/or diet, not genetics (particularly, too much TV/video at an early age when the brain is still developing). I have a son whose father has ADHD and knowing that there was potential for my son to have the genetic trait, I made sure I created an environment that would minimize the potential of ADHD developing. If you are concerned about your daughter, I suggest you read up on how the environment and diet can influence ADHD and compare to the environment your daughter is in to see if you can make any adjustments to minimize the potential.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I'll be sure to mention the above to my sons' developmental pediatrician and psychologist who are currently evaluating him and from whom I received my information.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2009