What would you do?

My grandma recently moved from southern illinois to PA to take care of her mother. i have not seen my great grandma since i was like 6 months....here's the thing my husband get's 2 weeks vacation in july. i really want to go..by july we will have a 3 and a half year old and an almost 7 month old...the thing is i can't get my husband out of this state..granted it's to see family but it would be our first family vacation! I really want to see my great grandma before she passes away...it's a 16 hour trip(we would be driving) and we'd stay for a week...should i say the hell with it and go myself with the kids? or try to convince him togo?

AustinsMommy306

Asked by AustinsMommy306 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Travel

• go by yourself, if you want. He should understand if he loves you.
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It is important that you go and with your children. You could try putting it to him that it is also important that he go, too. Tell him that you'd really appreciate his going and that he would be glad that he met such a senior member of your, and his, family. It would show respect, for one thing, I hope that it works out for you. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 6:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My dh never likes to travel so I always go see relatives on my own. Just map out your trip in advance and plan to spend the night somewhere since you will have two little ones. I always drive around 7-8 hours a day then stop to rest and let the kids have down time from driving.

Answer by gemgem at 6:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• If he really doesn't want to go, go on your own. Traveling with the kids is really not that hard if you are prepared, and I think that it would be important for your kids to meet their great great grandma if at all possible. We are so blessed that our kids got to see their great great grandpa. We just happened to be on leave moving from Guam to Spain and we stopped in Texas to visit our family and they got to meet him. It is truly a blessing they did, since he passed away a little over a year later and we were unable to come home before then. So hands down, yes, go with your kids. And take pictures :). Message me if you need any tips on traveling with kids that young...i've gone from tx to washington and then from washington to TX and back with kids ages 4-12!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:01 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I say make plans to go. She is your great grandmother and you spend as much time with her as you can. If you don't go, you may regret it later. I'm sure your husband will come around as it gets closer to time to go; if not leave him at home with a HUGE honey do list!!!! :)
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 9:24 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• you should go
    lalasha

Answer by lalasha at 4:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Yep, I agree you should go. He should go to for physical support of the children and because he knows how much it means to you - I rarely make that kind of call but in this case I think it's warranted.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 2:45 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• well if i were you, i would say im going, and you can choose to come, or stay at home.. i would do anything to see my great grandmas... they both passed away when i was 12, and wow.. to see them as an adult, i think would be WOW! do it hon... do it for your kids too.. not many kids can say they have great great grandmas... if you decide to go, msg me, and i'll give you some travel pointers, we travel to montana from Oregon ... good luck hon.. and i really hope you go!!!
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:34 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Call My Mom say Gena from CafeMom said to call her 559-321-5886
    She can get you the best Deal.....Her name is Sandra Venegas
    or email her at : theartoftravelbysandra@yahoo.com
    genav

Answer by genav at 12:48 AM on Feb. 6, 2009