How much does your DH/SO drink?

I'm getting really concerned about my husbands drinking. Everynight it's AT LEAST a six pack and many nights it 8-10 beers. On the weekends if we go out or to friends houses 12,15,20 beers?? If we go out to eat he always has 2-3 beers even if it's at lunch at 11:30am! Don't get me wrong I drink too but I can go without it, to me it seems like he NEEDS it. It was never this way when we were first dating or even first married and now it's just getting worse. I bring it up to him and he tells me that I have no room to talk and that he never misses work or is ever late, all the bills are paid on time, and we have pleanty of money in savings. I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this and if it got worse or maybe it's just normal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• None. My dh doesnt drink.

Answer by gemgem at 6:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Your DH needs help.
    My DH drinks on occasion. maybe once or twice a month..... Not much at all.
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• None, my dh doesn't drink at all, even when I have one. The PP is right, your dh needs some help.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 6:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Your husband is an acoholic. He needs help and that really fast.

Im really sorry about that.

my husband isnt a huge fan of beer and im the one who goes grocery shopping, so i dont even buy beer. if i buy 4bottles/month, then thats a lot ;).. of course he drinks a couple beer when he is out with his friends, which is maybe twice/month.

but yeah, your husband drinks way too much. he has a serious problem.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My husband drinks every night but maybe 2-3 drinks. He grew up with this though. I maybe have a drink once a month so I dont want my family being raised to think that they have to drink every night. He comes from an Italian and Basque family that has cocktail hour to two hours every night, so its kind of difficult to change. My husband has cut back a little. Just talk to him about it and tell him that you dont mind if he drinks a little but you dont want to be too much and an every day thing. If he doesnt get violent and he handles himself well then I dont think he is an alcoholic. My husband and I have been to a councelor before and we talked about his drinking. The councelor asked us "Is this affecting your everyday life?" As in a negative affect and making it difficult to function. If yes then there is a problem. Good luck. I hope you figure it out.
    Shannon0622

Answer by Shannon0622 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• dh drinks 1-2 drinks a week, but normally on the weekend after a hard and long week at work. during my pregnancy he went without drinking because I couldnt drink and I really appreciated that. Good luck to you and your situation.
    CutePreemieK

Answer by CutePreemieK at 6:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My step-grandfather was an alcoholic. He was very violent. He was so violent that my grandmother died at age 47. Before she died she was at so many doctors and they all said: if you drink at least 2-3beer EVERY day (no matter what time) then you are already an alcoholic. If the people who drink like that will find lame excuses why they dont want to or dont "have to" quit, then they really have a problem.

also, i would absolutely NOT accept that around my child.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Yes, I am so sorry, but he has a problem and if nothing is done about it, it will only get worse.

I have an uncle who has been an alcoholic for most of his life. It has ruined every relationship he has ever had, including his relationship with his two daughters. He is a very sweet and funny man and never used to get violent when he would drink, but he sinks every dime he makes into drinking. He gets up and opens a can of beer. He drinks straight through the day until he passes out. Then he gets up and does it all over again the next day. When he has the money of course.

Get help for your husband now. Or you won't have the savings and bills paid for long.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 6:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Sounds like alcoholism to me.
    katskelington

Answer by katskelington at 7:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• He sounds like a functioning alcoholic to me. My husband never drinks unless we both decide to order a drink when out to dinner, which is rare.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 7:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2009