Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wrapping your windows with plastic?

How do you do that and does it save a lot on your energy bill?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

Answers (7)
  • We do it every year for a couple rooms that dont seem to have the best insulation. Yes it does work. There are two ways to do it. You can get regular plastic sheeting that comes in big rolls and tape it up. Its kinda hard to do but works. You can also buy the plastic that you use a hair dryer to attach and that is alot cleaner looking.

    Answer by gemgem at 6:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • We didnt use it the first year in our house and our gas bills were we use the plastic you apply with double sided tape and a hair dryer and see a savings of about $75 a month during the real cold months. We use the plastic sheeting up in the bedrooms...all we do is sleep up there, and the blow dryer plastic down stairs because you can see thru it and it looks decent.

    Answer by mbc324 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • We've used it in the past and it works great! As soon as we can find some more we're going to put it up again.

    Answer by ashandamymom at 6:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • Do you have to buy it from a hardware store or can you use just shrink wrap stuff?

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • We do it every year too and it helps out a lot. If we didn't cover certain windows our house would stay cold and our heating bill would be more than we could handle!

    Answer by Jill42721 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • we do and yes it does help your bills, and keeps it warmer... go to a home depot or value or something like that.. get a couple rolls (measure your windows first to see how much you should need)... cut the plastic to desired size and get out some tape.. that's the easy way.. they have others that are peal and stick etc... if you talk to someone at the store they will help you choice which is best for you.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:13 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

  • My husband calls it "bisquene" (not sure if I spelled that right) also not sure if it's the real name of it or just what he calls it lol. we do the living room and bedrooms, and it really does help. one way to tell if you need it, is take a lighter or candle and hold it beside a window (careful, now!) if it blows around or out, you probably have a draft and would benefit from covering the windows. it's called the candle test (ya think? lol) and you could probably get more info from googling that

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.