What would you have done?

Over the summer i took my children and nieces to the park . while we were there a small girl with a stroller caught my attention . she took a baby out of the stroller and took it down the big slide a few time there were no parents with her. I talk to her she was 7 years old and her brother was about 6 months her mom was teaching a swimming lesson and left her in charge . you can not see the park very well from the pool and there were about a 100 kids for the free lunch program so even if she wanted to the mom couldn't see them anyways . i called the cops what would you have done? do you think i did the right thing? please be nice i understand we have different views on things i just want opinions not means answers

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Leaving a 7 year old child to care for a 6 month old baby out of sight of adults known to her is a "simple mistake"?

no.
    Anonymous

• No I would not have called the cops. I would have walked them over to where their mom was and told her it was very busy at the park and you were worried someone might take them.

Answer by gemgem at 6:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• no you most certainly did the right thing i would have done the same. and alot of other people would have ignored it so kudos to you
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I would've done the same thing as the previous poster. I would not have called the cops, I would have walked them over to their mom and said that you were concerned and asked her if there was an adult watching after them
    Anonymous

• i would have talked to the mom. but i dont judge you for calling the cops, because its better to be safe than sorry. This woman is not suppose to leave her 7yr old alone with a baby. thats dangerous.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I don't know what I would have done.
    I babysat when I was that age, and I can tell you I shouldn't have!
    You did what you needed to do, don't feel bad. I think the age that you're allowed to babysit is 14..
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think you did the right thing. In this day & age trying to fix things yourself can get dangerous and turn on you. I found that out when a woman left her baby in her car & went into the post office, She was in there for awhile, it was July in Texas. I called the police & went over & took the sweating, screaming baby out of the car. The mother came out the same time the police showed up. She actually had the option to press charges against me for removing the baby from her car. I'm glad the police were there anyway because I would have feared for my & my own child's safety. I still stand by what I did & would do it again. But if the option is to let the proper authorities handle it, you should. People who need the police called on them in first place are unpredictable at best. At least you cared enough to get involved. Good for you
    Anonymous

• I don't think what you did was necessarily the wrong thing to do, but I can honestly say I don't know what I would do in that situation...

Anonymous

• Oh yeah..call the cops. If a woman is willing to be out of sight of her 7 year old and leave her in charge of an infant...there won't be any talking to her. She'll end up just telling you to mind your own business and get lost.

Definitely..the cops or CPS.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think you did the right thing and I hope I would have enough guts to do it as well.

That mother is nuts. 'Nuff said.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 6:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2009