Need advice on breastfeeding...

For all of you ladies who've been there and done that...
What are best things to eat while breastfeeding?
and what are absolute no no?

Albi1623

Asked by Albi1623 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The nurses told me just not to eat too much of one thing.
    so that's all I got for yah!
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• You can eat anything you want. If you notice your child getting fussy, then start an elimination diet.

I also recommend buy "the breastfeeding book" by dr. sears. It is SOOO helpful. I nursed my dd for 21 months. In the beginning she had a sensitivity to fresh jalapenos and dairy lol.. so I cut those out and then gradually reintroduced them.

Don't drink a ton of caffeine either.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Just stick to a healthy diet. Pay attention to what you eat so you can figure out if something upsets baby's tummy. My younger DD did not do well with garlic, my older DD loved it. Each baby is different. If you try something that will make you "gassy" (sorry! lol) pay attention to baby to see if it affects them the same way. Try small amounts of spicy or gassy foods to check, if it's OK then have more! I found that when my babies were really tiny they could be sensitive, after about 4-5m they were more tolerant.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Organic foods are the best.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Not too much of things like broccoli tomato sauce etc. Can cause gas. Eating things like oatmeal will help produce milk and drinking ice water.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It's best to eat a wide variety of healthy foods while breastfeeding. The taste of your breastmilk changes with what you eat, so if you eat a lot of different healthy foods, your baby will get used to lots of different flavors which will help him once he starts solids and as he grows. At 21 months, my DD is an adventurous eater now (we had Ethiopian last night!).
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• no onions or garlic, no chocolate or alcohol
    Anonymous

• You can pretty much eat whatever you want. If you notice your child gets fussy after a particular food several times, you could eliminate that.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2009