Question about the lovely mucous plug.

So, I'm in active labor that isn't progressing. My water has yet to break, I'm dilated to 3, and 50% effaced.

I've been losing A LOT of my plug but yet to have the bloody show. At first it was thick and whitish, now when it's coming out it's a little greenish-snotty looking. I asked this question on another forum and they told me i have an affection, but I know I don't because I was in L&D all last night. They would have caught it. Is it normal for it to be greenish?

oliviasmomma09

Asked by oliviasmomma09 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes the mucus plug looks like a snot and can have some blood tinge in it. Thats normal. It isnt an infection. And it doesnt sound like your in active labor, but maybe early signs of going into labor or very very early labor. If you were in active labor they would have admitted you and you would have probably progressed alot further. It should be anytime though that you go into labor though. Good luck.

Answer by gemgem at 6:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I don't think its normal for it to be greenish, but I wouldn't worry about the lack of blood in the plug. Some women don't bleed at all when they lose it...I myself only had a slight bloody tinge to it, nothing real noticeable.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My old boss said hers was green, and normal.
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Oh yeah, and they don't (at least at my hospital) consider it "active" labor until you are 4cm.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• my birthing teacher said something about the greenish discharge how far along are u???
    i think she said if it is green ur baby has taken its first poop (i think idr) i think u should call ur doc
    19bubbles91

Answer by 19bubbles91 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I was admitted, all night last night, and they told me i was in active labor, just not in labor enough. i could have stayed there but i'd much rather go home. they don't make you stay until your past 5 cm.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• im 37 1/2 weeeks.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• The greenish discharge and the baby having a bowel movement is usually only an issue if the water has broken, and mine has yet to.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Hey its me one of ur friends. green is normal and totally fine. mines been green for a month! nasty but true. dont worry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with my first i dont remember the plug. only the bloody show. that was 8 am saturday. she was born 1 pm sunday. i dilated super fast. from 1 to 5 in no time. the nurse was like damn that was fast. ouch!!!!
    Anonymous

• Smell is just as important as color in determining infection. I'd hang tight as long as it wasn't a concern yesterday and your OB isn't worried. Are you walking?? When do you go back to the doctor?
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 7:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2009