My daughter first name is Maddie-Grace and people call her Maddie. How do I get them to use her entire name without sounding rude?

I believe I said it all in the question!

Asked by LisaAnnM at 3:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I understand where you are coming from, but how old is your daughter? If she is old enough for her to know what she likes to be called, there isn't much you can do if your daughter has told others to just call her "Maddie". If she is still really young, just quickly but politly correct others and say something like, "Accually its, "Maddie-Grace"." and leave it at that.

Answer by metalmomma25 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• IMO, there's no easy way to correct someone... they'll get offended regardless, but you should still tell them politely that you would prefer for them to call your daughter Maddie-Grace... BTW, beautiful name!

Answer by pbjmomi at 3:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My mother had this problem with my brother. His name is Andrew and every one wanted to call him Andy. She just look at them and said "His name is Andrew, not Andy." Some people are going to get offended, but you can't please everyone. She's your daughter, don't let them call her something that you don't like!

Answer by KaroGreenly at 3:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son's name is Timothy John and most everyone calls him T.J. I don't mind if people shorten his name, but when I want his full name used, I address him by his full name and keep using it until people catch on. As he gets older, he will make up his own mind what he wants to be called. Who knows, he might just want to be called Tim! But, I appreciate it when people do ask me how I want his named used. Remember, their are bigger things in life to worry about. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Answer by boys1234 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Just use the name you want others to use. They will catch on eventually.

Answer by Chris127 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Unfortunately for us, its in human nature to be lazy and want to shorten our words (especially us here in America- not dissin, just tellin it like it is). It'll probably get old, but definitely just politely correct them with her name. I agree though, it is a beautiful name!

Answer by hallen08 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son's name is Mykal, however, he got turned into Mikey rather quickly. Then, it got switched to Mike. Although this age bracket doesn't apply to him, I feel this may be relevant. He could spell his entire name before he started Kindergarten. Now, he spells it Mik and can't spell it correctly because for 9 months, it was shortened. I recommend simply stressing the entire name when addressing her in front of company. That is what we started doing with our son and now he is Mykal again.

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:48 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Yeah, just say "its Maddie-Grace, its all one name not a first and middle." Then maybe joke it off with a "yeah, I know its a mouthful." People aren't intentionally being rude. My daughters are Shanna (like shaw-nuh, not shay-na) and Kalista (kuh-lis-ta) and NO one gets them right!! lol

Answer by seakla at 1:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2008