How many calories should an adult take in a day?

Is it the same for most adults?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• 2,000
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It is different actually for everyone and depending on what youre trying to accomplish. If just maintaining your weight then its one amount, losing weight another and so on. I took nutrition class a couple months back and used mypyramid.gov and they have alot of options there for you to input your information and itll tell you exactly how many calories YOU should be taking in.

Answer by gemgem at 6:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• They say 2,000 but I believe people eat alot more than that. I have cut my calorie intake to less than 1,000 a day to try and loose some weight and be more healthy.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Depends on weight, height, if you are trying to lose or maintain.
    http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm
    tells you what you need to maintain

I use www.sparkpeople.com to update me on what I need to do daily to lose. Really good site! For me to lose Its between 1200 and 1500 a day
    Allysmom11

Answer by Allysmom11 at 1:19 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Livestrong.com will calculate the number of calories that you need to consume in a day based on your weight loss goals (or maintenance). Input your current information and the "daily plate" calculates the rest. At any rate, an adult woman shouldn't be going under 1200 calories...that is really unhealthy. Your body isn't getting enough fuel to perform your regular daily functions and your body starts to store fat because it goes into a starvation mode. You may "lose" weight starving yourself (eating less than 1200 calories a day), but you lose valuable muscle.
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 5:35 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/calneed that is a link to a caloric needs calculator that will help you figure it out you can also google caloric needs calculator adn it will come up with other sites it told me I needed
    You'll need about 2,835 calories to breastfeed, maintain your current activity level, and also lose a little of the weight you gained while pregnant.

• Of this, 1,555 calories are required to meet your body's basic energy needs. That amount (your resting energy expenditure) is what you'd use up if you did nothing but lie in bed all day
    lalasha

Answer by lalasha at 3:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2009