When to add cereal...

My daughter is two months old and it seems like she isn't getting enough breastmilk from me. She seems hungry all the time and I was thinkin of maybe starting her one some cereal in the evening to make her fuller and happier. When did you start and do you recommend a type of cereal for her?

MrsStanley22

Asked by MrsStanley22 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you should NOT give a baby cereal before they are at least 4months old. their stomach cant handle it yet. If you think she is not getting stuffed, then buy some formula. I didnt have enough breastmilk so i had to feed our DD 50% breastmilk and then after i was nursing her i had to feed her the other 50% with the bottle (formula). you can try that out and just add a spoon more than the package (formula) says, that will make her stuffed a little longer.

good luck :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I don't want to give her formula that defeats me breast feeding only.
    MrsStanley22

Answer by MrsStanley22 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• cereal defeats breastfeeding too. Cereal should never be given to a baby younger than 6 months, especially a breastfed baby. Breastfed babies have what is called "open gut" until 6 months or earlier if solids are introduced. This means that babies are able to get their mothers antibodies, etc.

If your daughter is wetting enough diapers (6-8) and just seems hungry, it's normal. You can also feed on one boob only, per feeding, to ensure she gets enough hind milk.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Maybe you could try trying to increase your supply a little bit.. nurse her then pump.. wait about 30 mins- an hour and try it again.. the more she's on there the more your milk production should increase.. when my dd was 2mos (shes only 4months now) i honestly felt like a human milking machine.. only good for the boob- it gets better.. try to hold off on the cereal for a few more months if you can, if not try asking your ped what else you can do... go boob!
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 7:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Talk to your dr so you have a realistic expectation about how often she should be nursing. That could allay your fears. Babies her age ARE hungry all the time, no matter how much milk you produce! It's normal for them to eat every couple of hours. Yes, it makes you feel as if you should moo, but it gets better as they age and stretch the time between feedings. No to cereal! Cereal has less calories and nutrition than breastmilk. By adding it to her diet, you decrease the amount of breastmilk that she gets, displacing it with cereal. Not to mention the fact that she can't digest it yet so it will just pass through her system, so she won't get any nutrition. If you want to increase your supply, you can pump (start off with one session in the morning, when your milk supply is at is highest).
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I had to give up brest feeding I was starving my baby. Doc told me that happens sometimes, my milk just did not have enough nutrients in it...Try supplementing with formula.
    40yrmom

Answer by 40yrmom at 10:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2009