Where do Catholics get their name?

In several verses in Acts, the early followers of Christ are called "The Nazarene Sect" or "Followers of the Way". The word Catholic, (to my knowledge) is nowhere in the bible. I was curious where the name came from.

Those who are not catholic, please refrain from answering this question.

MrsHart6

Asked by MrsHart6 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Link was given to me by a Catholic friend. She has no interest in being a mom right now LOL!!!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Well I am Catholic and trying to refrain from leaving a snarky remark. Are you really interested in the origin or proving that it shouldn't be because it's not in the bible as you see it?

Anonymous

• The word "Christian" isn't in the Bible, either.

"Catholic" means "universal". For 1000 years, there was one universal Church. Then, in 1054, the Church split into East and West. The Western half came to be known as Roman Catholic, "universal" with the Pope in Rome, while the Eastern half came to be known as Orthodoxy, "Orthodox" meaning "correct worship".
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 9:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Catholic means universal or all encompassing, it was used to signify that christians were of one church no matter where they were or who they were.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 9:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Catholic is an adjective derived from the Greek adjective καθολικός (katholikos), meaning "whole" or "complete. For Roman Catholics, the term "Catholic Church" refers to the Church in full "complete" communion with the Bishop of Rome, Pope Benedict XVI.
    Anonymous

• As was mentioned - the word "Catholic" means universal or general. ("church" comes from the Greek ecclesia, which means "those called out"). So Catholic Church is is made up of those called out and gathered into the universal society founded by Christ. It comes in part from Christ's orders in Matt. 28:19-20 - "Go therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age"
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:36 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• The first recorded use of the word is found in the writings of Ignatius of Antioch in about 110AD. (Ignatius was taught and ordained by the apostles.) He said - "You must all follow the bishop as Jesus Christ follows the Father, and the presbytery as you would the apostles. Wherever the bishop appears, let the people be there; just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church" 

There are other references to the Catholic Church in the second century.   So we see that early in the second century, Christians regularly use the word catholic as an established description of the Church. From the second century on, we see the term being used consistently by the theologians and writers. So catholic was a very early description of the Church.

For details there's the article "What Does Catholic Mean?"

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:37 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• What cedailey said.
    jaimie175

Answer by jaimie175 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Anonymous said "Well I am Catholic and trying to refrain from leaving a snarky remark. Are you really interested in the origin or proving that it shouldn't be because it's not in the bible as you see it?"

If I wasn't interested in the origin, I wouldn't have asked the question. Please refrain from judgement on my motives until you get to know me.

MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2009