how can I get my 13 yr old to give more effort in school?

This kid is going to be the death of me! lol He gives the smallest amount of effort possible towards things like this paper he has due on evolution.He refuses to do research any place but the web and I think it is important for him to learn other ways.Any suggestions on how to get him to see the importance of this? ty ladies.

Bearsjen

Asked by Bearsjen at 7:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Pay him! :)
    Kids get whats expected! Does he have a good life? does he have more materials then others? I tell my kids that they do, so I deserve more then average grades. Average grades = average lives. It could be the cable channels on tv, or thier sport, or rides too and from, but unless they wok for above average grades why would i work for them to have more stuff? A abd B are what I get, but if there is a C on the card they get something taken away. By god it works!
    MikkiB

Answer by MikkiB at 9:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Have you tried working on it with him? I usually have to coax my son 12 into doing larger projects. He has no concept of time and is sometimes easily overwhelmed. Before he even gets started he already thinks that it will take too long to do. If we break it down into parts, he seems to handle it much better.

sammy12868

Answer by sammy12868 at 8:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I explain something similar as MikkiB does, School is my kids jobs, if they don't do well at thier jobs then they can't afford to keep thier "stuff", no different then real life. If dad doesn't go to work then he can't afford to buy the stuff the family needs, we might have the basics but none of the fun stuff. He doesn't like to do it everyday but it is his responsibility and if he doesn't do it well, he doesn't keep the job.

Once they learn that they can no longer afford thier mp3 players, cell phone or computer they start to straighten out, especially after they start to loose things.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I agree w/you all that it is his job to do well in school and my job to provide well for him.As for do I do it w/him ,I try but when I expect some effort he blows me off with "momI'll do it my way." he knows there are consequesnces if he "blows" a project he just seems to want to skate by.(sigh) ty tho.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:36 AM on Jan. 8, 2009