How can i get my daughter to gain weight?

She is 5 years old and she only ways 33lbs and i dont know what else to do. She eats like every 15 mins and people are getting mad at me because she is little.

chrissi2003

Asked by chrissi2003 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• if she eats healthy and well balanced meals than she sounds like she is doing well. You can introduce good fats, such as omega 3 etc. :) Avacados are good too, and full of good fats. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• some kids just have really fast metabolisms. I have a friend who's son was special needs and needed extra calories, so she had some tricks - like putting pudding mix in his milk. If you're concerned, check with your Dr.
    mnrock

Answer by mnrock at 7:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Do any of those people have a medical degree and specialize in pediatrics? They're the only ones I'd listen to....

If your doctor has concerns, I'm sure he'd give you ideas of what to do.....Just make sure what she does eat is healthy, and share your concerns with the pediatrician.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• what has her dr said about her weight? if she's healthy then who cares what anybody else thinks about her size?
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 8:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Have you ever thought she just might be a tiny petit little girl... My daughter weighed 34 lbs in kindergarten she is 28 now with 2 kids and weighs about 110. Her daughter is 6 and weighs 35 lbs. and is very healthy just tiny.
    40yrmom

Answer by 40yrmom at 10:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• sounds like she has a good metablism...don't worry as long as she eats healthy she is fine.. she will probably be thankful when she is a teen for it :)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:58 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• give it time. she will gain @ her own pace. tried vitamins?
    poet-mom-07

Answer by poet-mom-07 at 7:24 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• As long as she is eating well balanced meals don't stress over it, my youngest is the same way, she is 8 and finally got up to 50lbs this year. She wore size 3-6 months until she was 11 months old. I was on WIC with her and they actually told me to start feeding her cookies and ice cream because she needed to gain weight. Unless your pedi is telling you this I wouldn't listen to anyone.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My daughter has been in the 5th-10th percentil since she was 1 year old. Her pediatrician asks about her diet every 6 months and she has a weigh in. She is picky but eats a lot more now. She is 7 and 40 lbs. She looks like a rail. I made milk shakes with coconut milk for the extra calories and fat. She is intolerant to dairy so I was always looking for good sources of fat.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 10:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I have a soon to be three year old whos small. But she was born at 37 weeks was 5 pounds 13 ounces and only 17 1/2 inches. She came into the world small. Also had GERD. She has hung on steadly at the 3 percentile since birth. My doctors aren't concerned. She's growing on a steady scale and that's what he says is important. Not what percentile she's in but the fact that's she showing a steady growth without any major change. You just might have a petite child. My husband's 6'3" and was small for his age until he becams a teen. I think as long as your doctor isn't worried you shouldn't be. Forget everyone else.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2009