ok I really don't know what to do about this...

My son is 2. He's being terribly 2! My daughter was never like this. He won't do anything I say! He gets in the fridge, cusses, won't pick up etc etc etc. I don't want to spank him but I have before. I've put him in time out, but he doesn't care. Anyone have any advice? I really need him to mind me...

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 7:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he cusses? wow. my dh and i have foul language but Becka doesn't repeat..

Could his cussing and lack of respect come from something he sees? Sometimes toddlers respond to what they see, like if someone in the family cusses out of anger/frustration or treats you with disrespect.

My daughter doesn't listen well sometimes too. We redirect, avoid yelling and spanking, and work with her, etc. Ask her why, what, etc. and it seems to help.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My daughter never cussed either. Never. I think he thinks it's funny. I did put half a drop of tapatio on his tongue and guess what...he wants more. (He does eat spicy food at the Thai restaurant willingly.) I almost forgot about redirecting, and that's what they did when he went to daycare (and now we're stuck together all day now that I'm out of school.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• 1. Get a fridge lock. They have them in the One Step Ahead catalogue (also on line)

2. If he cusses, tell him we don't use those words in this house. If you've slipped from time to time (and we all do) try to make an effort not to swear in front of him and ask the other adults in his life to do the same when they're around him.

3. At two years of age you can't really expect him to pick up after himself too much all the time. If you try to make a game out of it, do it in small doses, and are consistent with it, he'll learn to clean up after himself.

4. The next time he's not listening, say to him, "do you have your listening ears on?" "I don't think you do" "mommy asked you to___" "now put your listening ears on and ______" then praise praise praise him for listening-do this all the time you can and he'll learn to listen.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Above advice is good!!! Also, yeah, at two, you can't really say "go clean your room" and expect them to do it. I can't even get my 5 year old do that all the time. I go stand in their rooms with them and sing the "clean up" song, and then they start cleaning. I point to things and tell my 2 year old to pick it up and put it in the toybox. It takes time for them to learn to clean up their stuff.
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Well at two, you will need to direct his "cleaning up". A two year old just doesnt have the understanding of this task on there own. I would suggest putting his toys up out of reach, into bins or whatever. Only get one bin out at a time. Much easier on you and he can clean up easier. Make a game out of tossing the toys into the bin. When putting a two year old in time out, you really need to consider if he is mature enough to even understand the concept. Some kids may. Most wont at two. Time out should only be two minutes. Its a minute per year. After two minutes he probably doesnt even recall why he is being punished. YOu may need to sit with him.

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• CONT
    Have you tried redirecting him when he is doing things that you consider needing to be put in time out? Or do you just assume that he know's what he is doing?

As parents sometimes its hard to remember that our kids are "just kids" He may talk really well, and act like a "big boy". But, emotional wise he is still at a very young stage.

He is hearing cussing from somewhere. He will repeat everything lol good, bad and the ugly :). If you dont want him cussing.......dont do it in front of him. He doesnt understand its and adult thing to do. So punishing him and then you continuing really isnt fair.
    mistynights234