How to relieve congestion in baby??

DD is 6mos, she's all stuffed up. I've been doing the saline drops with the bulb sucker. She's not getting much relief. She's breathing through her mouth a lot and gets annoyed when she wants to suck her thumb. Is there anything a doc can do? She sleeps with the humidifier. Any tips will be appreciated.

Farrahann

Asked by Farrahann at 7:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try turning on the shower and closing the door. The hot mist always helped my daughter more than a humidifier. I think the heat helps break things up.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 7:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Elevate the head of her crib.

Saline drops and snot sucker you're doing...humidifer you're doing...

Steam in the bathroom is mentioned above....snot sucker here, too.

Tylenol for discomfort.

That's about all there is for a cold...they last up to a couple of weeks....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Run the shower w/out the fan on hot a few minutes, then cool it to a safe temp and stand in the shower with your baby. I increases bonding, reduces the fear of sound/water after a few times, and really helps your baby breathe better. :)
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 8:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• my 5 month old son got hit with that nasty respiratory virus that went around over the holidays. we were home visiting our families and not in our own house.....but used a vaporizer while he slept, so he got warm moist air rather than the cool wet air a humidifier puts off. i didn't use vicks in it, because i was unsure of how safe that is with a little baby. i'm not sure if it helped or if the cold had just run it's point to start clearing out at that point. used tylenol when he had a fever. but it took a good two and a half weeks to get over it, poor babies
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2009