What is your favorite charity and why?

I'm just curious to hear which charities you like to donate to. I'm not trying to start a debate about which charity is best or worst, just curious to hear about your favorites. I personally like charities started by average, ordinary people with a passion. I admire people that take initiative and try to make a difference in the world.

My two favorites are:
Abandoned Pet Rescue and
American Preemie Foundation

I'm a sucker for pets and preemies, and these two charities were created by regular folks, so that's where I donate.

FLLmom

Asked by FLLmom at 7:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I donate to texas equusearch & the polly klaas foundation. My son was kidnapped by his father when he was two so my passion is missing people and doing what I can to help others who are in the same situation I was once in.

Answer by gemgem at 7:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I usually only donate to animal orgz. Humane society and the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. (SPCA)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I donate to local organizations who help "underprivileged" children and families.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Mine is March of Dimes. I became really involved with the organization after I had my son at 30 weeks. If you wouldn't mind PMing me about the American Preemie Foundation I'd love to hear more about it.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 8:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• here in louisville there's "crusade for children". i'm not sure if it's just local or in other parts of the us, but all the money goes to help children with special needs. there's various ways it helps, including providing the local childrens hospital with NICU machines, and providing procedures to those that can't afford it. it's really big here and raises millions thru the fire depts doing roadblock collections. i think that the make a wish society is awesome as well. a good friend of my mom's is raising her grandson and while what he has isn't life threatening, he can die of complications at any time. he was able to go to disney world last spring, all expenses paid.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 8:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• prolife centers that give cribs clothes, diapers, free ultra sounds, counseling, etc. to women in need.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 AM on Jan. 8, 2009