is there any way the the dr would induce labor before 38 weeks????

my boyfriends going to iraq on jan 20th...originally we we freaking out cause im due feb 9th he was supposed to leave feb 7th but he would have been able to stay.he leave when im 37 weeks and like 3 days and they wont let him stay cause we are not "married" im so upset and he is to because he cant stay for the birth of his first child and he wont even see her for a year...someone give me advice if the dr will or how i might be able to induce labor

MadisonsMom303

Asked by MadisonsMom303 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Nope they wont unless there is a medical condition affecting the mother or babies health.

Answer by gemgem at 7:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Sorry, but probably not. The best thing that you can do is to let the baby take the time it needs to be healthy. I was induced with 2 babies at 38 1/2 weeks. Don't rush it, you don't want a sick baby, and alone. Thank you for your sacrifice for our country!
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 7:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• To me you are being selfish. Your baby's lungs are not fully developed. If you want to risk your child having lung issues the rest of their life or possibly even worse, being stuck in a NICU for a while, go ahead get induced before 38 weeks.

You also need to remember that you could only be 35 weeks, because U/S can be off.

I wish your boyfriend luck over seas, that is a very difficult thing to endure. Just know you are not the first to have a child with out their father there.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 7:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My friend had a C-section at 38 weeks for the same reason. She's not married either.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• 37 weeks is considered full term
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I had my second child at 37 weeks, but he was estimated to be over 7 pounds (he was 7 lbs. 7 oz at birth), and all other vitals were strong. I was concerned about low amniotic fluid, as that happened with my first and I was induced just shy of 39 weeks.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• dakotaNrye
    To me you are being selfish. Your baby's lungs are not fully developed. If you want to risk your child having lung issues the rest of their life or possibly even worse, being stuck in a NICU for a while, go ahead get induced before 38 weeks.

***
    That's not true! They will estimate the weight of the baby, and their vitals! What about moms who have twin, triplets, and so on? They are usually induced after 32 weeks, and those babies can be 4-5 pounds or LESS, and are healthy!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Farra-
    I was in the hospital with 2 minute contractions, I was not dialating though. The doctor sent me home because I was ONLY 37 weeks along. I have a friend whose child was 37 weeks, spent some time in NICU ward.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 7:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• How many of those babies go home with in 24 hours?? They don't!! They are stuck living their first MONTH of life in a incubator.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 7:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It is unlikely that your doc will induce you for non-medical reasons until you reach your due date - or later. Even if you are 100% sure exactly when you conceived, babies don't necessarily develop at the exact same speeds. Some babies can be born early and be just fine, others come out and have serious respritory issues. Plus, if your body is truly not ready for labor, an induction doubles your risk of ending up with a CS. I can definitely understand your desire for the baby's father to see them born - but in the long run the risks would be way to high for my comfort.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 7:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009