Cleaning My Little Ponies

So my mom gave my daughter a bunch of old school My Little Ponies that belonged to my sisters. Most of them are in great shape, however---not only are they dirty, but they were stored in the back room of a smoker's house. The dirt comes off rather easily, but the cigarette funk isn't fading. Suggestions on how to get rid of that smell? I've aired them outdoors for awhile, but either I didn't leave it out long enough (a few hours) or fresh air is no match for 20 years of smoke buildup!
And the hair---how do you clean that? It's all gnarled up and has the smell, too. How do you clean synthetic/doll hair?
Thanks!

shesajar

Asked by shesajar at 7:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

• good question.. I would try hand washing them with good detergent .. or throwing them in the washer to take a spin..just don't put them in the dryer.. that will ruin there hair 4 sure..GL
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 7:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• throw them in your washing machine with your clothes
    lost_little_dee

Answer by lost_little_dee at 7:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• A mild soap such as Joy, Ivory, or Dawn will work well on ordinary surface dirt. I've scrubbed some pretty dirty Cabbage Patch Kids with liquid non-abrasive type cleansers and it did not hurt the vinyl just be careful. When done spray them with febreeze and let them dry in the sun. For the hair try Johnson and Johnson detangling leave in conditioner and a small my little pony brush. You can buy a new pony they come with combs to untangle and comb the hair.

Answer by gemgem at 7:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• put them in the washer with detergent bleach and greased lightening then nestle them with a bounce sheet to dry LOL
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 12:59 AM on Jan. 8, 2009