breast milk and formula

Im pumping breast milk out to feed my baby. Sometimes milk doesnt come out so i give him formula. i give him formula once every 2 days. is this bad. will he get sick bacause of the formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no he won't get sick because of the formula, but I would suggest mixing breast milk with the formula. It will help with any constipation problems, and help his little body get used to the formula.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• What are you trying to start? Formula does not make babies sick.
    Anonymous

• I seriously doubt it. I never produced enough to actually breastfeed. So I would pump what i could and add it to the formula bottles. That way I knew they were getting enough. I think you are fine, both of my kids never had problems.
    nvedwards

Answer by nvedwards at 7:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• If you completely switch over, he may get sick more often but it doesn't mean it will make him sick (as long as he's not allergic to it) It may constipate him because it's hard to digest-because it's not natural. Start your pump on the highest setting to simulate letdown, then dial it back after you have a good flow.Stay hydrated. Hold your baby or smell a blanket and try to relax-will help your flow. You can also cut holes in a sports bra to hold your pump cones--freeing up your hands to hold your baby.
    Anonymous

• Your child COULD get an upset tummy because of the change. Just like if a strickly formula fed child gets his/her brand of formula changed.

My son never got sick when I had to formula feed because I was at work, and unable to pump, however he did get constipated some times.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 7:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• (sigh) Why aren't you just feeding your baby from the breast? That's the best way for the milk to come out. A pump can't get out as much as a baby's mouth. And yes, the baby could be harmed by the formula. Melamine (spelling?) is in it. That's killed bunches of babies over in China.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2009