How can I get my son to start sleeping in his crib?

He's 4 mo an he's getting too big for his bassinet. He's been sleeping in it next to our bed since he was 6 wks. It's really handy because if he starts to wake up we can just reach over and rock him back to sleep but he's getting to big for it and we'd like to move him to his crib but he hates it. Everytime we put him down he wakes up and starts screaming. Please help me!

lvlymummy08

Asked by lvlymummy08 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start with nap time being in the crib so that he becomes familiar with it, and work your way up from there.

CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Just a suggestion, but this is what worked with my 3.

Lay him in there when he is almost asleep. Put your hand in the crib and pat or rub his back and comfort him, you can talk to him to help comfort him. Wean those things out, when all of those are working stop talking, when he is comfortable, just put your hand on him, don't rub or pat. Then just be there no touching, no talking. Then leave.

Start with a bed time routine, this way he will begin to know what is coming next. This process could take a week or a month, what ever you both are comfortable with.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 7:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Also, put your shirt in there, one you have been wearing, it will have your scent on it, and can help with the comforting. Good luck.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 7:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I actually moved the crib into my room to let her adjusted to sleeping in the same room and then I plan to move it upstairs. I will keep you posted to how that goes.:-)
    DanielleLeAnne

Answer by DanielleLeAnne at 8:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• You might want to start by removing the bassinet from the room and place the crib there. Your next step is to make the crib as comfy as possible and place a baby toy that he can sleep with without any harm. When you put him to sleep, for the first couple of nights, you might want to start at least an hour ahead of your scheduled time, so that during that time you can reassure your baby everytime he wakes up and starts crying. This is when you need to be extremely patient, reassuring your baby and keeping him on the crib is the hardest because your impulse is to pick him up, but what you should do is lay him back down, if he's up, or pat him on the back a few times and then leave the room. You can also put some soft music and use it only when he is going to sleep on the crib. Eventually your baby will learn to sooth himself to sleep and when that happens, you will both be able to get a good night sleep.
    Laura4Luvs

Answer by Laura4Luvs at 8:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• this may sound ridiculous but our bassinet came apart and became a littlemoses basket type thing so I started her off and put that in her crib then when she got too big i put her in the crib and she did great
    becky757

Answer by becky757 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I had a co-sleeper and used it until 3 months... one day I just decided it was time for her to sleep in her own room. After 3 months of no sleep, it was time. I would wake with every little sound she made! I got the book " How to solve your childs sleep problems" by Dr. Ferber. Even though its not really a "sleep problem", the book was VERY helpful. In 3 nights, she went from waking every 2hrs to sleeping 10hrs at a time:) Get the book!
    danahj79

Answer by danahj79 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I had the same problem at just about the same time. What I found is that they like it because it is much smaller than the crib so they feel close and cozy. I started putting my son in his crib but putting blankets around him and stuffies to fill the extra space. It worked because he felt close and cozy but was in his crib. You just have to make sure to check up on him because of the stuff so close to them.
    klopez08

Answer by klopez08 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• check out the magic sleepsuit at www.magicsleepsuit.com. some babies need a little extra warmth and security, which is what this provides. It worked great for us. by the way, the creator is the featured mom on www.mominventors.com - its a great story.
    Anonymous