My 3 yr. old looks to be left handed any suggestions or advice besides getting left handed scizzors?

I've been working with him a lot lately on holding the marker or pencil, first he seems to have trouble holding it w/ Lt. or Rt. Could be his age, this is my first experience w/ left hander. He is my third boy and I just never consider that one of them would be left handed. He eats with his rt. Cuts paper w/ left. I know your not supposed to discourage them from using their left hand. ANy way any advice would be great! Thanks

potential

Asked by potential at 8:12 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There is a website where you can print off your own handwriting pages for lefties. I can find it again for you if you want, just let me know.

Other than that.... I can't think of anything special he'd need. My middle son is a leftie & does fine w/ everything.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I'm left-handed, and I don't have anything special =] I actually love being left-handed, there aren't that many of us in this world and I think it's a great thing, haha. I was never given special treatment growing up, I learned how to cut with right-handed scissors and use right-handed desks and I was taught how to write by right-handed people.

Us adult lefties don't have anything special because we're left-handed, we learn to adapt to the right-handed world. Just teach him everything the same way you taught your right-handed kids. He'll probably end up having preferences for which hand he uses for what. I think lefties tend to be more ambidextrous than righties.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I'm left handed too. Does he write with his left as well? Some Lefties will turn their hand a certain way when writing so try turning his "paper" sideways instead. This kept me from holding my hand diffently & the same as the righty would hold a pen/pencil.
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 8:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• OneSpecialMom - I find it interesting that you say to turn the paper when their writing. I am Righty and when I write, I have to have my paper COMPLETELY horizontal. None of my Lefty friends turn their paper at all...
    lovemylittle1

Answer by lovemylittle1 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I can't remember how I was taught or why I turned my paper. hmmmm! I really don't think that my mother made a fuss about me being left handed. Everyone else in my family are right handed so I can't say "why" turning the paper worked for me. I just know that I hold my pen/pencil like most right handers do & the only difference is that I have my paper turned a tad!
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 10:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• EMBRACE IT! My daughter is a lefty and we discovered this when she was about 2. It is so unique and wonderful. Left handed kids seem to be gifted at so many things, I wish I was left handed. She is 12 now, and she is a pitcher on her softball team. She is good at all sports. She is also naturally gifted at crafty things and musical instruments, and I've read that some of these things come from being a lefty. Don't get me wrong, right handers are gifted too, but there is a lot to be discovered about cool things about lefties! Teach him to pitch in baseball,left handed pitchers are sought after a lot! Many of the best guitar players/musicians of all time are lefties. Its really awesome, and I am so glad they stopped trying to correct this in schools.
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i agree with onespecialmom try to turn the paper. That is how I write. I'm left handed but do everything else right handed. my teachers tried to make me cut with my left hand and I did it horribly. After about 4th grade I learned that I could do eveythying better with my right hand except actually write. my son is also left handed and I don't know how he will turn out with the other skills.
    When your boy starts sports make sure the coach lets him try both hands at things like holding the bat or stick and standing. Well go luck.
    zachysmommy04

Answer by zachysmommy04 at 11:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Funny that you ask this... I'm LEFT-handed and am having difficulty helping my preschooler write since she's right handed. When I stand behind her, our limbs and bodies disagree as I try to guide her right hand w/ my left.... very awkward!!

As a lefty, I don't turn my paper when I write, though my cursive still slants to the right as it should. I eat with my left hand, but I use scissors with my right.... I guess b/c no one ever gave me left-handed scissors (or they weren't available) when I was growing up. When I play sports, I hit/kick/throw/pitch with my right hand. The only advice I have is to embrace your child's uniqueness and teach him to use his left as you use your right. Like me, there may be a little awkwardness while going through the physical motions, but we'll catch on :-) Good luck!
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 11:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I say encourage him to use it as much as possible AND DONT TRY TO HAVE HIM SWITCH IT! I was suppose to be a right handed person and the school I went to made me use my left nwow I am a left handed person and you can barly read my writing its so bad but if I use my right it is nice writing but takes ten times as long to write a sentence so my advice is have him draw or write as much as possible with it and like he uses a spiral note book at all flip it over cus the spirals get in the way of a lefty writing so good luck
    soldierswife11

Answer by soldierswife11 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2009