What age do you begin potty training?

MissTyphani

Asked by MissTyphani at 8:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it is more of when the child shows interest in the potty and doesn't like wet/messy diapers I don't mean fussing, but telling you to change him/her verbally or other wise. Some kids are ready at 18 months some not until close to 3 years or beyond.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I have always started potty training at 18 months, but the children don't really get it until they are 2 and a half. Girls tend to be faster than boys. When they can say "pee-pee" or "poo-poo" and can pull their pants up and down, it's time to start. Also, the child must be interested in the bathroom. They will play in the toilet, drop things in, or like to flush.
    spycee1973

Answer by spycee1973 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I AM A MOTHER TO 5 AND I LUCKED OUT PRETTY GOOD WITH ALL OF MY KIDS. THEY WERE POTTY TRAINED BETWEEN 20 & 27 MONTHS. I THINK THAT WHEN A CHILD IS BIG ENOUGH TO TRY AND HIDE WHEN IT COMES TIME TO MESS IN THE DIAPER, IT'S TIME TO INTRODUCE THEM TO THE POTTY. NEVER TRY AND FORCE THEM TO SIT THERE. YOU MAY NEED TO TRY GIVING THEM A STORY BOOK TO READ. I ALSO WORK FOR A DAYCARE AND WE HAVE 6 OF OUR TODDLERS THAT ARE POTTY TRAINING AND DOING VERY WELL AT IT I MIGHT ADD. YEAH, THEY HAVE ACCIDENTS BUT SOMETIMES IT CANT BE HELPED. WE TAKE OUR KIDS TO THE POTTY  ABOUT ONCE AND HOUR AND IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING PRETTY GOOD~WE NEVER GIVE CRITICISM WHEN ACCIDENTS HAPPEN, WE JUST LET THEM KNOW THAT THEY ARE NOT IN TROUBLE, BUT WE'LL TRY HARDER NEXT TIME. GOOD LUCK! 
    MOMAND5KIDS

Answer by MOMAND5KIDS at 8:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

•  I am starting my daughter now. She absolutly hates to be wet or poopy. She will tell us when she pees and poops. She was starting to take her pants and diaper of in her bed during naps and bedtime.She was really interested at first, now she is not wanting to sit on the potty.She is having lots of wetting accidents. I will sit her on the potty for like an hour and then I just give up. Then she of course pees in her underwear. She was doing so good on peeing and pooping on the potty the first couple of days and now she isn't to interested in it. I don't know what to do. She is 20 1/2 months right now. i am thinkin she doesn't like her potty chair. It leaves marks on her buns and every time she does pee in it the pee goes everywhere but in the little cup thing . She can't sit back far enough on it or something. Does anyone have any prefrence on their best potty chair? I am not sure what to do? Advise? Carrie
    morningcowgirl

Answer by morningcowgirl at 11:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2009