Best Diaper Cream?

My DD has a pretty bad diaper rash going with this round of antibiotics, does anyone have a recommendation for a good cream, the two I have are working so so, but I am sure there is something better out there.

ttdccc

Asked by ttdccc at 8:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We love desitin. That is all we use.
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Ditto, Desitin, even the generic. Just make sure the active ingredient is 40% zinc oxide. Some only have 10% zinc oxide, so get your money's worth!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I have found maalox works the best. You just put it on the rash and let it dry put the diaper back on and in a few days it should be gone.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 8:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Aveeno diaper rash cream- that works the best!
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I got this recipe from a pediatric intensive care nurse and I've used it often. Only problem is getting the right consistancy....it should be creamy and thoroughly mixed. She knew the feel by heart but it took me several tries on occassion.
    Mix Desitin, aquaphor baby healing ointment and about 1 Tbs of Maalox. Mix till creamy, it should not separate when spreading.
    I made this and stored it in a plastic baby food container (like 1st foods Gerber) to give you an idea of overall how much I put in. She said it doesn't go bad, so you can make a big batch and keep it on hand. The Maalox breaks down the acid in the poo.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Hi! You can usually call the doc and ask for a Nystatin cream prescription -- usually pretty cheap. If it is related to the antibiotics, it is actually a yeast infection (yes, just like a mom gets!) and regular creams will not really get rid of it! Nystatin will significantly improve the rash overnight. Hope that helps!
    Jesmare

Answer by Jesmare at 9:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Burts Butt Creme.. heard it works wonders. I agree with Jesmare tho.. if its related to the antibiotics its probably a yeast infection. The doc may want to see it but as soon as you get the medicated creme it'll go away in a couple days. My niece gets yeast infections all the time. If it starts bleeding make sure you don't put any creme on the sore spot(s) and use a warm washcloth to wipe her so it will heal faster.

We use burts.. its great.. and desitin creamy.. that's my recommendation!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I LOVE butt paste. Its kind of expensive, but it does the trick!!!
    mom2one2007

Answer by mom2one2007 at 9:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Arbonne or Butt paste
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My son has had a really bad yeast rash from antibotics and I used monastate ( same as for a yeast infection for a women ) That is what my pediatrition suggested after trying all of the creams it worked well but the thing that worked the most is everytime when you wipe use a wet paper towel and then let air dry everytime Try to even let the air at it as much as possible like have your baby in the kitchen for awhile where it wont be a mess and it will clear right up from the air
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 11:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2009