What kind of baby cereal is the best for starting the solid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started mine out on Gerber rice cereal. Just be sure to water it down really good. Their gag relex will kick in and they will try to spit it out. But, they will learn to take it after a few tries.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My ped. recommended oatmeal so I tried it and he didn't seem to crazy about it. So I tried the rice cereal and he LOVES IT!!! I think all babies have their own taste. As long as you make them the right consistency, I think they're all a good start on solids.
    ReadyForEthan61

Answer by ReadyForEthan61 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• The rice cereal has a much easier texture for babies just starting to eat solids. I gave my sons oatmeal cereal also a couple of months after starting with the rice just to give them a variety.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• rice is thinner and easy to digest
    becky757

Answer by becky757 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• single grain, its usually Rice cereal.. thin it with breastmilk or formula.. they say water as well, but it leaves it pretty bland.. but on the box it says what to do for the first feeding.. what was weird, I thought we were going to have trouble.. but nope, at the end of his 3rd month, i was eating some oatmeal and he opened his mouth when i took a bite, so we went to the store and got him his first cereal...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 8:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• none. to be honest. cereal is just empty calories. Your best bet is waiting until 6 months and introducing smashed bananas and purreed veggies. :) We never did cereal. It's not needed at all.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• the best baby cereal is banna cereal or rice my 11 month old son is now eating human food now since he waz 7 months
    mommy_of_jacob1

Answer by mommy_of_jacob1 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I started my son on rice cereal about a week before 4 months. His doctor recommended it. My little piggy was eating over 40 oz of formula a day, and was screaming for my food when I ate. It got to the point that I had to eat when he napped. We started with the rice cereal in a bowl with a spoon. He loved it from day one. Now at almost 11 months he eats along with us. :)
    hoopys19

Answer by hoopys19 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Every baby is different and has different tastes, just like us. My dd hated rice cereal, but likes oatmeal made thicker with a dab of apple juice. It gives it a little taste. She didn't like it made with formula, I think it may have confused her eating something off a spoon that tastes like something in her bottle. Try different consistencies and you will find what works.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:31 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• my mum and gramma have recommended we start with rice, because we have history of tons of allergies and rice is the most gentle to begin with. i always value the gramma's advise over any doctor, especially the old mothers in your family, your mother, aunts and grandmothers!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2009