Group B strep test

Someone at work was telling me that doctors do this test later in pregnancy...When do they usual do it? Did anyone have to or not have to get this done? I was just curious. thanks

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 8:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i had it done at 37 weeks. i think they give it to every one. its something about if u have it u have to get meds while in labor so they baby dnt get sick
    Anonymous

• Ever pregnant women has to get this test done. You usually get it done later on during your pregnancy. If you are Strep B positive it can harm the baby during delivery so they have to know in advance so when you do deliver they can put you on medications to prevent it passing onto the baby! I was Strep B positive, and nothing happened to my daughter!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Every*
    ali_1107

• Have it done between 35 and 37 weeks any sooner it could come back neg when it is actually pos which happpened to my sis in law and my niece was in the hospital for 2 weeks very sick. Not a good thing if the test is pos and you dont get the antibiotics during labor. Mine was neg but I wasnt taking any chances and I still got the antibiotic.
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Mine was done at 38 weeks. It's a routine test to see if you have GBS. It's very simple and quick and easy and it's for the good of you and your baby, so you should have it done. All they do is swab your vagina while they're checking to see if you're dilated. If you test positive for Group B Strep, you're given antibiotics through your IV to clear it up so your baby won't contract it while going through the birth canal. If you DO test positive, it's not a big deal. It's not like strep throat, you don't get sick or have any symptoms, and it doesn't hurt your baby while you're still pregnant. If you get the antibiotics during labor, you'll be just fine =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Oh good, I got a few weeks...I am only 32 weeks along
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I haven't had it done in my last 3 pregnancies so you don't have to get it done. When it is done, it's done at between 35 and 37 weeks.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I had it done at 37 weeks. Don't worry though, it is a very very simple and fast procedure. Just a q-tip and about 5 seconds! No big deal!
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• You must get this done. If you have GBS, you will need antibiotics during labor so that your baby is protected. I'm having mine done tomorrow, and I am just shy of 36 weeks. It is extremely quick and simple--just a q-tip swab and you're done.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2009