Potty Training Advice, Please!

How do you get your kid to use the potty every time, and not just once in a while? Many times, my son would rather play than sit on the potty. I have tried to give him toys on the potty, but sometimes he just refuses to leave his toys, so he does not get to the potty in time. I could force him to go to the bathroom but I think it would backfire. I have tried for months now and am so exhausted! We have tried "everything" from presents to stickers that add up to presents, and treats and even money....Help!

MomAgainAgain

Asked by MomAgainAgain at 5:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put him in underwear. Diapers are so absorbant these days, they don't mind sitting in them. Alot of times they change their tune when they feel it running down their legs!! It worked for my kids. The first couple of days was messy, until they figured out their timing, but then it was smooth sailing. All of my kids (I have 3) were potty trained, and accident free before age 2, and 2 were there by 18 mos!!!!
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 10:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I agree. Underwear. I put jack in underwear and within 2 days he was peeing in the potty and by day three he was pooping. Let him pick out his underwear. Jack picked Little Einsteins. I told him that Leo and Rocket couldn't hold pee and poop like Elmo (diapers). he didn't like it when he had an accident he would get very upset. We just told him it was ok this is how we learn. Good luck!
    beanurd

Answer by beanurd at 11:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Put a step stool in front of the toilet, drop one sheet...one sqaure of toilet paper in the toilet so it floats. Put your son on the stool with pants down and tell him to shoot the tp. As he gets more comfortable, put cheerie-o's in there and have him sink the cheerie o's. Make it fun for him, don't teach him to do things just to get a reaward...trust me you will regret that in the future.
    btweenunme

Answer by btweenunme at 11:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• O.K. this sounds really really bad but my two year old was not wanting to potty train he knew how but he still would pooped in the underwear. So what did i do i told him that whoever was on the underwear at the time that they would bite his butt. Sounds mean but It worked lol
    ashee03

Answer by ashee03 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 17, 2008