Baby cereal, bowl or bottle?

I know when I start her on cereal I have to mix it with formula. I assume I start giving it to her in a bottle but I want to be sure. So my question is did you start your baby out with cereal in a bottle or a bowl?

smnice

Asked by smnice at 8:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would do it with a spoon and bowl. That's how I did it with my daughter and she loves it. It's like another chance for a wonderful and fun bonding experience. If your baby doesn't get it at first or show interest, then just wait another week or two and try again. I only ever put cereal in the bottle once and it was only a teaspoon, so it wasn't barely anything. I enjoy feeding her with the spoon and so does she . . . she loves the chu chu . . lol. And then once you're ready to start feeding other solids, you can mix a little cereal in with veggies or fruits. Good Luck Mama . . . happy feeding!!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• alot of people are against putting it in a bottle but my dr said it was fine to do and recomended and I would listen to her over any book, however my little moster didn't like it too much so we just used the bowl
    becky757

Answer by becky757 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• If she is healthy and no pronblem with acid reflux in a bowl, peds recomment to feed baby food and ceral in a bowl with a spoon unless there is a developmental reason the child can not have it in a bowl, some Dr. do recommend cereal in a bottle for babies with special needs.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• If she is under 6 months add it to a bottle. If she is over 6 months in a bowl. It helps her learn how to eat on a spoon.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 8:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I started out in the bottle, kinda thin. And then we moved to the feeding bottle, much thicker. Now we alternate it with the feeder bottle and a bowl. He eats off a spoon really well but, lets be honest, sometimes there's no time to sit down and feed and get all messy...especially away from home. So the feeder comes in handy when he doesn't get full off formula while we're out. I'm sure there's more than one kind but we use Sassy Infafeeders. They come two in a pack for like 6 bucks at Walgreen's.

And before everyone starts slandering me on using a feeder because they're no longer recommended, he has WAY less tummy problems with the feeder than with a bowl/spoon. TO EACH HIS OWN!!!
    ReadyForEthan61

Answer by ReadyForEthan61 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Most doctors will tell you not to put it in a bottle. Only formula/milk should come from the bottle and cereal should come from a bowl with a spoon. One of the reasons is a choking hazard and it will hinder learning to eat solids properly. Many people still do it, but it is recomended that you don't put it in a bottle.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 8:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• in my opinion you only give it in a bottle if told by your doctor. my son got cereal at the end of his third month. but its your baby so do what you feel but most dont get it in a bottle
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 8:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• We do both. The first time he ever had it was with a spoon but he didn't take to it well at first so we ended up just putting it in the bottle. That was about a month ago and he's now learning to really use the spoon but sometimes we do still put it in the bottle.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• NO! Cereal in a bottle is never recommended, and it is a choking hazard. Starting out with a bit on a spoon is the safest, most responsible way to feed a child. That way you also know when the child is ready for solids. Testing with a spoon lets you know, if the child still has the tongue thrust reflex, then she's not ready for solid foods.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Never put cereal in a bottle. (A) It is a choking hazard (B) The only reason you are giving food is for practice not for nutritional purposes so what is putting cereal in a bottle doing? Introducing solids is for learning purposes by putting it in a bottle you are defeating the purpose and taking away from the NEEDED nutrition (filling belly up with useless calories instead of formula).  Laziness is the only reason for cereal to be introduced in a bottle of a healthy child.

Anonymous