ear infection help!!! please

my 11 month old has had a fever the last 2 days I've given him Motrin and it knocks the fever out but he's pulling on his ears and I know it's an ear infection , but have no way to get anywhere, i.e doctors, store, hospital (w/o an ambulance) , been down on my luck lately and have a very upset lil man , any home remedies? other than peroxide?, or is it safe to use on him, i'm a new mom

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Kids' Health

• There is an over the counter product at the drug store called Simlasic (or something close to that). I would try to get to a clinic because he probably needs antibiotics. I've never been told about peroxide so please be careful. Call some clinics and see what they charge for an office visit. If you have to borrow the money from someone.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• As a child I suffered many ear infections and as a result had to have tubes placed in my ears 4 times. I now suffer from partial hearing loss because of all the ear problems I had as a child. You do not want to mess with infections. At the age of 18, my last ear infection, I had to have reconstructive surgery on my eardrum because the infection took over a year to heal (with antibiotics). The infection literally ate a hole through my eardrum and they had to graph skin from behind my earlobe to cover the hole. It was very painful. Please do not let your child suffer through that pain. Take him to the doctor even if you have to walk there. You also do not want it to get so out of control that you get in trouble for child neglect for not addressing it sooner. I don't mean to scare you, but I know the pain and suffering from having many ear infections and it is miserable. Good luck.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• You can always go to a free clinic, the local health department or a public hospital that can not refuse treatment based on lack of abiity to pay or not having insurance. Ear infections are very dangerous in kids. Get the baby seen by someone.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My mother in law never took any of her babies to the hospital when they had earaches. She blew warm air into their ears, a few small drops of mineral oil warmed a few degrees above room temp, and a warm compress on the outside of the ear. Remember these are just home remedies, and you may have to take your little one in to seek medical attention. Dont let it go so long that an eardrum bursts or something like that. Ear infections hurt... Bottom line- Take your baby to the doctor, but in the meantime, see if you can console your child with a home remedy.
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 6:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Do some research online. On one site I researched it said that antibiotics didn't do any good and that they only knocked off one day from the infection. Stop giving him Motrin unless the pain is really severe and his fevers are really high. The fevers will take care of the infection.

"Current research reveals that 85-95% of the 10 million antibiotic prescriptions written last year for ear infections (in the US) showed no real benefit to the patient. Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) treats the condition with herbal remedies and the benefits of these remedies are almost immediate. TCM can effectively treat ear infections and strengthen your child’s immune system to prevent a further occurrence."
    http://www.roberthelmer.ca/ear_infections.html
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/ear-infection/should-i-give-my-child-antibiotics-for-an-ear-infection

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ear-infections/EI99999
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• No he needs amoxicillan or penicillan. Its an infection and only antibiotics can get rid of it. I know you said you cant get anywhere..but this is really the only answer (to me). Can you go in a taxi?
    gabrielsmom619

Answer by gabrielsmom619 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• There have been lots of studies done recently - if he doesn't get any antibiotics, he will get better just as quickly as if he does.
    Keep comforting him. Keep his fever below 102 - if it's in the 101's, don't worry about it, it's his body's way of fighting the infection. If he's uncomfortable and in pain, don't worry about the fever, give him medicine to help keep him comfortable.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:28 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• 3 percent hydrogen proxcide put part of a cap full in his ear and let it sit for 15 mins then have him turn over and do the other side
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• at that age you can put it in his ear we did for our little boy and he was fine
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 7:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2008