How can I get my 16 month old to go to bed without fighting for an hour?

My daughter does not like to go to sleep at night. We have been trying for months to get her to go to sleep earlier. She goes to bed around 10:30 or 11:00 every night!! We try no naps or naps early and it still doesn't work. Please help.. Thank you

Haileysmom55

Asked by Haileysmom55 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried excercises before dinner... maybe go outside and let he run wild. YOu dont want to do it too close to bed time cause then shell get all wound up. Say if you are shooting for a 830 or 9 pm bedtime take her out around 5. seems like she needs to run off steam.
    CassieLee85

Answer by CassieLee85 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• try fifteen minute inclements. like one night at 10:30, one night 10:15...good luck.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 8:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• The no naps and early naps is part of the problem. Super tired kids do NOT go to sleep easily and do not sleep well once they do finally crash.
    Bring back the naps.
    Watch her closely starting around 5 in the evening. Watch for her quiet signs - a short period when she's quieter than normal, tugging on her ears, rubbing her eyes. Get her into bed as soon as she shows any tired signs.
    Once you tuck her into bed, leave her. Bedtime is bedtime. Every time you go in to check on her, you encourage her to jump and scream for your attention all the more. This is where most parents give up because it is HARD. Tape a note to her door to remind yourself that this is for her own good... tired children get sick more easily, tired children don't learn well, tired children don't grow as well, tired children are no fun to be around. Sure, it's easier to get her up and let her "play" but it's not good for her, just like it's easier to give her cookies for breakfast.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Every child is different. She may think she is going to miss all the fun when she goes to bed. Consistency is key. Find a routine that works for you and stick to it. My daughter was like that and now she is at the stage where I can tell her to go to bed and she goes. She is 3 and she doesnt always like it but she goes.
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 2:27 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Thank you everyone for your help. I will be trying them!
    Haileysmom55

Answer by Haileysmom55 at 8:25 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I put a tv in my daughters room out of frustration and every night before bed I turn it on and put in baby einstein. They have one thats lullabies and one that is called baby galileo and has stars and classical music..it is very soothing and is asleep in no time. My daughter can't wait for bedtime now. Also a plus is that she is learning from them she learned what stars and moons are and the one day i put in baby's first signs and now she is doing sign language and I didn't even teach her.
    emmasmommy1016

Answer by emmasmommy1016 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Maybe she is scared..Have you tried a warm bath to comfort her..try a cuddly stuffed animal that she loves and maybe music..classical is best for the little ones..That is what I did when my son was that age..He is 13 years old now.
    Adnil

Answer by Adnil at 1:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2008