• In the Spotlight:

okay I asked this before, but here's more detail, water broke...

OK...It gushed twice. My water has never broken on it's own. I have not had any contractions, and I am only 36 weeks and about 2 days. I sat down the fist time feeling like I really had to pee, but I didn't hardly sit and it gushed for 20 seconds. Then testing five min later I sat down again and smelled the second smaller, shorter gush. It smelled sweet and had no color, but it was not slimy. I have since hardly had any but trickles..that was 8 hours ago. So is it that I am early? I am not contracting, and the stick they used was yellow not blue. He said it's not always detecable, and that sometimes they don't always catch it. This is my OB telling me this...I know it is weird..which is why I posted.

Unbroken_Amanda

Asked by Unbroken_Amanda at 8:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Most women deliver 36 or more hours after their water breaks. The key is to avoid sitting in a dirty bath tub and avoid vaginal exams. You don't even need to go to the hospital. You are obviously not contracting, etc, so getting checked in would seem pointless because you would be there waiting and waiting, etc.

water breaking isn't the end of the world. If your OB isn't wanting you to rush to the hospital, then don't, just be avoid the things I mentioned above and relax. Walk some, it could help things move along.

You aren't that early either... if your body and baby are ready now then you will start going into labor in the next day or two :) I wouldn't fret about it.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Sounds like it hasn't broken , it was probably just discharge .. if the doctor thought it was your water they'd have you deliver withing 24 hours because there is a risk of infection.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 8:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• after your water breaks u are more prone to get an infection and it is best to deliver within 24 hrs.. but i think u should be admitted to the hospital so they can monitior you and baby for infection
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 8:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• they dont have to wait 24 hours to deliver you actually. my friends water broke and she was in labor for 3 days. but you SHOULD go to L&D and get everything checked out and what not. they can do that test on you to see if it was your amniotic fluid.
    if your baby is born right now, dont worry he/she will be fine and survive. that is when my friend also went into labor was 36 weeks and her baby is a chunk now :)
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 9:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• KelsoBabeyy - this is actually correct. While they do need to watch for infection I actually watched one of those birth stories / baby shows or whatever and a lady's water broke wayyyy too early but the doctors were able to stop contractions and kept the baby inside the mom for several weeks after her water broke. Mom was in the hospital the whole time of course and closely monitored but she carried the baby long enough that it was born healthy.
    Rubia653

Answer by Rubia653 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• If you think your water broke, you MUST call the dr. You cannot continue to be pregnant with a broken membrane! The information that you posted about your doctor, is that because you already saw him and he said your water did not break? Did you actually lose control of your bladder? I wish you the best, but if your water is broken stop working on the computer, call the dr, and get ready to leave for the hosp...
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 9:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• "You cannot continue to be pregnant with a broken membrane!"     Scimecamommy~     why not??   Lots of women walk around ruptured  (PROM).   It's not always an emergency.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2009