Mom vs Dad

If you were going through a separation with the father of your child(ren) and you knew that you were not the better parent i.e. you were not as financially stable, the child had an intense bond with the other parent, you needed time to get on your feet etc. would you be willing to be the "weekend parent" until you were on your feet? I would and I was just wondering what other moms thought.

micrespo

Asked by micrespo at 8:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• After hanging out here at Cafemom for a while now, being activing in the stepparenting groups, I think the honest answer for most of the women on here would be, "Oh hell no! I'd just screw over my ex-husband and make him support me so that I could keep MY child."

But I'm both biased and bitter. :)

To answer the question, it'd depend. If DH's mother was still alive, then no, I wouldn't. She's the type who feels she needs to POSESS our children and my husband would bend to her if I wasn't around to prop him up. Otherwise, we'd probably go for 50-50 on paper so as not to jeopardize each other in court while working together to take care of el bambino and keep him in a familiar situation.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 10:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I would do whatever was best for my child - only you know in your heart, what everyone else thinks doesn't matter .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Im not going to lie, that would be very hard for me to not see my child everyday...I gave birth to her and took care of her the most etc, but financially speaking I would do it temporarily if I had to...Whatever is best for the child.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I always want what is best for my daughter, even if that means not being with me. I would try my hardest to get into a position were I had her again though.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 8:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I would..if I knew that it was best for my child to be else where until i got back up on my feet certainly. But you also have to consider, that the longer ur child spends with the other parent the more likely you won't be able to become to the main parent again, because you wouldn't wanna take ur children out of a familiar enviroment and such, like school and friends..but only you would know whats best for your family
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 8:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i probably would too but it would totally break my heart.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I would also do what is best for my child, but hubby and I have discussed this in depth in the past, and we would rather do joint custody. I can't imagine my children only seeing their daddy every other weekend.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 8:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Ditto, but the best interest of my child would come first.
    MikkiB

Answer by MikkiB at 9:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It would be tough, and you are going through a hard time now. From what you are saying, you know that the right decision is for you to be the weekend parent. It sounds as though it would be the best for you as well as for them.

Answer by Bmat at 9:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• If I were a mature person then yes, I would consider having my SO be the one to parent our child if he was the one who was in a better position to parent that child. But saying a parent is only a weekend parent is not giving enough credit to those that only see their child on the weekends or every other weekend. I think we do the best we can in the time we have with the resources and knowledge at our disposal. When we give what we can our children grow up to respect us for that. As long as they can see we are truly doing what is their best interest.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2009