Whos in the delivery room

AHHHH

So my husband and i are stationed about 45 min from my parents home and the hospital where i would like to deliver is about 20 min away. While all that is lovely and fine, My mother wants to be in the delivery room with me. My husband would much rather it just be us in the room when our son is born. He sees it as a very important family moment. I tend to agree with him, but i understand why my mom wants to be in the room.

Did anyone else have this problem?
How did you handle it?

USMCWifey2011

Asked by USMCWifey2011 at 12:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Tricky. I did not face this problem - we were all on the same page. Have you talked to your mom? Does she know you and your husband want this to be your special moment? Is there a way for you to make sure your mom has a special moment too - something just for her (and maybe other grandparents)? Perhaps she's the first one to come in after the birth? I would say, find a way to make sure her special role in this baby's life is acknowledged right from the beginning, and hopefully that will make it easier to fulfill your own (and dh's) desires about how the birth unfolds. Congratulations and good luck!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2011

• I had my Mom in the room with my first son, I would have given anything to have her in there the last 2 times.... She passed away when our oldest was 3, so like I said I would have given anything to have her there for the other 2.......
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2011

• We told my parents that even if they were here when I went into labor that the only person that would be in the room during the actual birth was my DH. They ended up leaving right before labor started, but they would have been in the waiting room for the most part, and allowed in the room until it was actually time to push. We told his parents the same thing for this one, because they might be here when I go into labor.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2011

• What kind of a birth experience do YOU want?

Who attends this moment matters!
    We will want to be able to relax-surrender and let go like when we have a bowel movement or orgasm. This is hard to do when others are in Your Space. It's very personal and important for you to feel really comfortable.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2011

• From Sphincter Law:

"3.When a person’s sphincter is in the process of opening, it may suddenly close down if that person becomes upset, frightened, humiliated, or self conscious. Why? High levels of adrenaline in the bloodstream do not favor (sometimes, they actually prevent) the opening of sphincters. This inhibition factors is one important reason why women in traditional societies may have mostly chosen women, except in extraordinary circumstances, to attend them in labor and birth. (Have you double checked your birth plan? Have you officially chosen who you want to attend your birth?)"
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:02 PM on Nov. 14, 2011