No more job security? venting sorry adult content

So I married a sailor, I when the economy went down I was so glad my hubby had job security. Well at first we were upset that there are no more reenlistment bonuses, but whatever nothing we can do and at least he's got a job Well now I am seeing neighbors move due to basically I consider being kicked out. Reenlistment is refused, they say oh we let people reenlist at a differnt rate and rank. No they just don't let you reup. Then a friends hubby was refused to be allowed to take his first class exam. Now they're kicking out about 3k sailors, AE is the only one I know of because there is so many. Now they are kicking those out with things like dui's and other black marks on their record. Also kicking out those who don't show progress and don't get recommendations, on paper. Unfortunatly we fall into the later. My hubby does his job. But his last squadron didn't give him anything. In fact he was the ONLY second class whose EP got lowered to an MP. He does his job, and does it well. He doesn't kiss ass or play the politics like screw someone else over to advance. But this the majority of what I se getting promoted. Why?! Is ass kissing like a much needed skill in our military? I thought you know people doing their jobs would be more sufficient. Hell his now Chief was under my husband in rank 5 years ago. WTF is wrong with todays military, I'm pissed not only for my husband being crapped on but also the other hard working country loving men and women getting screwed as well. Oh and now our retirees, who already paid the price, appearantly military people are overpaid...Howso when over 50% of our paycheck is taken back by uncle sam!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2011 in Military

• PTS (perform to serve) is eliminating a lot of sailors. It doesn't matter if you are an EP anymore. I know of a few HMs who are being PTSed out. It's all about the needs of the navy. There's a lot of ratings being affected.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2011

• I know how you feel. We are going through this crap now with PTS. First is was so my husband can re-enlist and now PTS wants him to change rates to stay in. After 10 years doing his job, I don't see how changing will help. But they are trying to get him into a job that is more open for advancement.

It's like you can't really plan a career with the military because of fear of being kicked out. My DH has never been in trouble, has all kinds of awards, hard worker and would like to make it a career. It's like an emotional roller coaster with this whole thing.

I have heard of people being put out after 17 years in. PTS is electronic. The names get processed through I think up to 7 times and all you can do is pray the computer picks your name to stay in.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• That is what happens when you get a democrat in the white house. The military's numbers fluctuate everytime. Not to be contrite but doing his job is not good enough. He must go above and beyond. I almost resent the fact that you think people who succeed in the military are ass kissers, I was successful, but chose college over a military career and I was far from a suckup. But I learned early on that your job is not good enough for that EP. Just to put this in perspective.....everyone starts as a Promotable sailor, from there you go up to MP and if you are really good you get that EP. And they can only give out so many of each and that goes by how many people you have at that rank.

But I recognize that you are frustrated and scared about the situation and you have my deepest sympathy. Just stand by your man and help him out when needed.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 2:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2011

• Sorry if I implied all, i meant most. My hubby was an EP when his papers went out, he was demoted to the MP. We had a friend who is a HUGE ass kisser, he gets promotions like they are on sale... Agian not all who get promotions are ass kissers, hell sometimes (rarely) the hard work our men and women do is actually rewarded...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:33 AM on Nov. 16, 2011

• they seem to go in cycles in cutting the military, we got cut back in 1991...my hubby was active duty air force and we got the luck of the draw and were not able to reenlist but we did move back to our home state and hubby signed up for the air force reserves...he's been in for almost 24 years now....if the navy wont let him reenlist, try the navy reserves or another branch of the military....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 11:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2011

• This is nothing new. My Aunt got let go from the air force in the 90's. When I was active duty in 97, I saw it going on around me in the Army.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2011