breastfeeding question!

im having a little trouble breastfeeding. my daughter will only nurse for about 10 minutes, and then she will spit my nipple out.and try to reattatch. she does this 4 or 5 times a nursing session and i have to keep putting it back in for her. Then she will fall alseep after a few more minutes. And then a half hour later shes hungry again. In order to keep her attatched to my breast i have to shove it upagainst her lips. Are any other moms having this difficulty and what can i do about it?

Rebekahs_Mommy

Asked by Rebekahs_Mommy at 9:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• From the latching on and off and the assumption that baby is new have you looked into oversupply? It is very common especially in the beginning. Here is an article explaining what it is and how to work with it until everything evens out. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

When it comes to the latch you have to make sure baby opens up wide every time, even if it takes a bunch of tries. It is mainly consistency that will make the latch work. Be consistent on requiring baby to open wide each and every time. Make sure to bring baby to the breast and not the breast to the baby as well. Are you teasing baby's mouth with your nipple to get her to open up wider? http://www.kellymom.com/newman/a-when_latching.html

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• continued from question. also, she doesnt open her mouth up very wide no matter what i do! And it makes my nipples very sore. how can i get her to open her mouth wider?
    Rebekahs_Mommy

Answer by Rebekahs_Mommy at 9:12 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Hmm well I think the best thing I could tell you is to get in touch with a lactation consultant, they are great, they really helped me out with my son's problems. I think there may even be a group on here to help you out.
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• rub ur nipple on her lips so she opens wide.. like rooting around.. and shove your nipple in as soon as she opens wide.. it can be hard and a pain but stick with it:o) Also make a peace sign with your fingers with your nipple in between and it make s easier to guide and help her. GL If ther is anything else i can help you with.. feel free to ask!!
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 9:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i think a newborn baby you sometimes have to keep putting it back in their mouth they arent perfect with their movements etc just yet.
    Anonymous

• i just stopped breast feeding my 2 year old daughter and i agree with teddybear515
    mom2b23869

Answer by mom2b23869 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• she doesnt have a very good rooting reflex. unless i put my nipple right in front of her, she wont even try rooting for it! and i try rubbing it up against her lips but she usually has her tongue in the way!
    Rebekahs_Mommy

Answer by Rebekahs_Mommy at 9:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Con't

Regarding sleepy baby here is a great article with all sorts of suggestions on how to keep baby up and feeding (very normal behavior). http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/html/waking_a_sleepy_baby.shtml

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• mama_l

i think thats what some of the problem is. I will leak bucket loads. and i think it comes out a little to fast for her. It will make her mouth and everything sopping wet, and i will constantly have to wipe things off. And i think it frustrates her.
    Rebekahs_Mommy

Answer by Rebekahs_Mommy at 9:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• also sometimes she will pull of the breast, and milk will spray everywhere and i have a hard time getting it to stop!
    Rebekahs_Mommy

Answer by Rebekahs_Mommy at 9:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009