spanking in public

i went to target with my daughter to pick up sippy cups and there was a little girl and her mom and dad in that aisle the little girl was missbehaving and her mom gave her 2 warnings then her dad smacked her on her bottom a couple of times my daughter started to cry i have no clue why but she did do you think its appropiate to spank in public and would you do it and also what do think you have done if your child missbehaved ? ....... sorry so long question .... lol :0

mom2b23869

Asked by mom2b23869 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• In all honesty if that is a parents method of punishment than I think they should spank their child in public. With how many people out there that are not for spanking though I dont know if I would have the gall to do it in public and then have some crazy women screaming at me. As far as what I would have done I would have told my child after the first warning that if they continued to act like that we would be leaving. Then if they did it again I would leave the store and come back later without them. If you follow through with this a couple of times they stop acting that way in stores.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 9:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I have wanted to spank my son-but I never have. I got my butt spanked so much I still think about it. Iam not going to spank my child-especially not in public.
    mom2one2007

Answer by mom2one2007 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i would but i have never had to. my children act like asses at home but they would never do it in public (i have two teens and a one year old) with the one year old i don't spank her now i just take her to the car and we leave
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I would have, just going by what you said.
    Anonymous

• I usually take them to the bathroom if I need to spank them, but not my husband. He tells them, "if you act up in public, you will be disciplined in public." It hasn't happened very often!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think punishment needs to be consistant. So if spanking is the punishment of choice then yes its okay to spank in public. I'd probably have taken her to the bathroom or outside though. I don't spank but I have made my son stand in timeout at walmart. lol.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i agree with the pp be consistant whatever you do at home do in public because if they know that they wont get punished in public they will act out in public
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 11:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I have spanked in public before. We give warnings and if he doesn't listen then he gets spanked and he knows it. I don't care what everyone else thinks of it honestly. However, we have only ever received good feedback from the other customers (since it is usually in the grocery store that he acts us).
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:22 AM on Jan. 8, 2009