For the nonchristians

Hypothetical situation: It is all true. Jesus is real, and judgment has come. How do you respond to the fact that you have to bow and confess Christ as Lord? Rom 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
Asking curiously. I have never gotten to ask this question to anyone outside Christianity before.

ColleenF30

Asked by ColleenF30 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm trying to come up with a way to express myself correctly here... I do not consider myself a Christian not because I don't respect Christ, or because I disbelieve his teachings (though I'm quite sure I interpret those teachings in a different way from many Christians.) I just don't meet the definition of a Christian because I can't accept the dogma that I feel I would have to accept in order to consider myself a Christian. Though I respect Jesus as a great teacher, I just don't meet the 'entrance criteria' for Christianity. Doesn't mean I don't respect him or would not show him respect if I met him.. just means I can't honestly believe in a lot of the Christian dogma. If I said I did, I would be lying. Incidentally, I'm a Buddhist and don't believe some of the more esoteric stories about the Buddha's birth either- the difference is that Buddhism doesn't require me to believe them. Does this make sense?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It's not that I hate the idea of Christianity. It's the fact that I just don't believe. Go to www.youtube.com and type in "Zeitgeist Religion" ... you'll see why I don't believe.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Hypothetically I would react as I would react to anyone I had wronged. I would apologize and try to make it right, even if I couldnt my sense of honor would bind me to do so.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 9:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I would say something like "Hmm... okay... guess I was wrong. You ARE real after all. Pretty cool."... and then I would remain a Buddhist.

Not so sure about the kneeling & bowing, though. I mean, I suppose if it's the Lord, he could make me do whatever he wanted... but it wouldn't be voluntary.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I thank you for answering honestly. Going to check that link out after I get the last child into bed.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• The only time I'm on my knees before a man is when I'm giving him head!

I WILL NEVER be subservient to ANYONE!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think we'd all be fine- we all have free will to believe what we want- and I think Jesus and God would respect that in the end. I think they'd respect people who lived their lives as good people. Also, I think all religions and faiths are all tied together- so if it happens to be Jesus then thats fine with me. If the higher power goes by a different name, thats fine too. Even those who were atheists...they believed in something, and lived their lives how they thought they should be lived. I don't think anyone would punish them for that. So anyone's belief in anything, could be traced to a higher power. The belief in nature or science could be traced to god- if god created everything, then believing in science and nature could be a tribute to him/her....I'm just throwing this out there.. I am agnositc, so I don't ever rule anything out.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• In Islam we do have a belief in Jesus. Its not the same as a Christian that he is the Son of God and to get to God, you must got thru Jesus. We believe that Jesus was a prophet and he was sent to us to reveal the word of God himself and that he professed that he WAS God, but was here to lead people to God. With that said, I am not worried in my belief because I do believe that Jesus was a very important person. We do believe that he will come for the second time as well as Christians to help humanity. People need to realize that there are MANY MANY religions in the world, and that Christianity is not the only path that people need to take. I dont believe that Christianity is the route for me, but if that is what speaks to you then so be it. I think its kinda unfair that people say its either this or that, but whatever makes you guys feel better at the end of the day.
    Anonymous

• sorry..he NEVER professed he was the son of GOD...sorry for the typo!
    Anonymous

• wow beeky..that is disqusting!
    Anonymous