Why is it ok for weddings but not for a babyshower?

First please no rude or disrespectful comments please be mature adults thank you :D

I am pregnant with my second child (I have a 4 ye old son and this one is a girl) and have a sister and best friend that just had baby's last year that are giving me alot of their old stuff so we don't ha be to buy everything and my cousin that I'm extremely close with is throwing me a baby shower and was going to put cash donation and gift cards are well come on the invite but everyone keeps saying that's rude but I don't get how is it ok for you to say for a wedding but rude for a baby shower because iI feel its rude to take back things that someone bought for me ( even if I won't be using it)

Jasmommie

Asked by Jasmommie at 2:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i would just put gift cards & leave out the cash part. idk why ppl would say that though, it's not rude. some ppl are just so sensitive these days.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 2:28 AM on Nov. 15, 2011

• It's actually rude for BOTH. You're not supposed to include anything about registries or gift cards with any invitations.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:31 AM on Nov. 15, 2011

• That's interesting I've never heard that about the registeries before
    Jasmommie

Comment by Jasmommie (original poster) at 2:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2011

• I think it depends on where you are. Where I'm from it's not rude or tacky, it's actually expected, that registries go in the invitation. Otherwise, guests have no idea where the person the shower is for is regstered. I actually heard somone say once that is why the hostess puts her number on the invite. I guess that is if the hostess has nothing else to do but answer the same question several times.

As for asking for cash, I've always heard that is rude for both wedding and baby showers.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 7:25 AM on Nov. 15, 2011

• I agree, it is rude for both. I've never seen that ever.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:25 AM on Nov. 15, 2011

• Just register some place and you wont get things you don't want/need.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:27 AM on Nov. 15, 2011

• Put where you are registered on the invites. I know Target lets you put gift cards on your registry, so people will see that it's okay. But asking for money or gift cards is a little tacky.

Answer by missanc at 8:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2011

• It is rude for both. You should never ask for cash or gift cards.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2011

• The way I grew up was that its tacky to have a baby shower for each kid, UNLESS there is a 10year gap or more between babies. People are going to buy you gifts simply because they are your friends and family and you're having a girl. Asking for money is tacky and rude. If you already have gifts that are given to you, return them for store credits.
    Minimelda

Answer by Minimelda at 9:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2011

• what do you wanna buy with the gift cards?? diapers? then put "we really need diapers. pampers please" i wont put cash.
    BABmama08

Answer by BABmama08 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2011