Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can I get this off my credit file? please help!!!

I recently found out that an apartment that I used to live at 5 yrs ago has put a $9,000 balance on my credit file. I stayed there 3 mnths and lost my job I told the manager I would be late with next months rent cause I lost but found another job. two weeks later the sheriff served my eviction notice and I went to court and had to leave. But they never sent me any info saying I owed anything the judge never ordered any pay. can they do this? This is hindering me from getting an apartment.

Answer Question

Asked by Natasha316 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Well what did the judge do? This doesn't seem right. Seems like you are leaving some info out. But if you didn't pay rent they have the right to do that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • Go back to the court, and ask about it. Ask if they have any papers, etc. stating that you don't owe anything. If there's nothing, ask the clerk (or Judge; someone who can handle the case) to file something stating you're in the clear of that situation, and that it should have substance to be removed from any financial history. You may have to seek an Attorney.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • the judge just asked if they have the keys I said yes, and he dismissed me. I paid for the 3mnths and I was late the fourth month but they knew I would be late, and agreed it would be okay, but still had the sheriff serve me and eviction notice. I never did pay the fourth month I just moved out before the court date.

    Answer by Natasha316 at 10:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • It all depends on your lease. Most leases will hold you responsible for at least part of the remaining money that would have been paid for the remainder of the lease, even if you were evicted. You'll have to have something proving you weren't liable for the money to fight it.

    Answer by Silvertears1275 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • I would first take them back to court and get it settled... then there are places to go to get that off your credit (after it's settled).

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:25 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.